• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A tr4a exhaust manifold

grant tr4a

Hi, I just registered, have been reading and doing site searches for a few months. I found some very useful ideas and tips to help me on fixing up my 1966 tr4a. All has been going good until i started to here an exhaust manifold leak, after some close inspection i found the ex manifold pipe from cyl #4 to be cracked all the way around where it y's. It seems to me that it is not fixable. I have started a search for a replacement. No luck yet. If anyone can help me along the path to finding a ex manifold it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Grant

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think you are right that they are NLA. I bought a replacement many years ago, before they became unobtanium, because I had the same problem. I'd suggest buying a header. I have often considered doing that just so I could box up the good manifold and save it from eventual failure...

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They show up on e-bay from time to time. Search all of the specialty bone yard guys too, they are out there but like me I am hording the extra one I have. Since 1969 I've gone through 3 of them. I should be good for my lifetime with the spare that I have. Also put a note on the other Triumph lists asking for help.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Mine came with one that had been repaired by brazing. I reckon it had covered many thousands of miles like this.
However I scounged up a replacement eventually.

It also had a defective clamp between the gearbox and the exhaust pipe. I have always believed these two things to be related faults.

The exhaust was only supported at the extreme rear and by the manifold. I'd guess it wangs up and down if you do this.

al.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes the 4A is a 2 into two downpipe while the 4 is a 4 into 1 downpipe. They can be interchanged if you also change the downpipes to the first connection.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe the exhaust manifold changed right at the TR4/4A transition, but there might be a few cars on either side. The later version has two outlets instead of just one.

In theory it can be welded, but it takes a lot of prep work and special techniques that not all welders can do. I've known lots of welders that claim they can, but I've never seen a repaired car manifold that held for very long in service.

Probably have a better chance with brazing, as the braze material is relatively soft and will deform before the cast iron breaks.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine looks like it has been welded, but I have owned the car since 1980 so it would have had to have been done before that. Also I have a spare engine (parts) that I think has the TR4 manifold on it. I will check it out the next chance I have.

OP
G

grant tr4a

Is there any reproduction exhaust header that makes a 2 into two downpipes so it could tie in with my existing exhaust two pipe flange? I don't want to mess with my exhaust because it is stainless from the manifold all the way back. Grant

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Is there any reproduction exhaust header that makes a 2 into two downpipes so it could tie in with my existing exhaust two pipe flange? I don't want to mess with my exhaust because it is stainless from the manifold all the way back. Grant

Generally, the headers replace the manifold and the down pipe, the two header outlets will either join up to your y-connector or front muffler, depending on what system you have. There are 4-1 headers, but the 4-2-1 is is more common.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=112370

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not that I know of. However, I see where Neil Revington has used original manifolds listed for sale. Probably close to $300 by the time you pay shipping from the UK, though.

OP
G

grant tr4a

I found a tr4a ex manifold in very good shape & it is on the way. I have a couple of related questions. 1. are better gaskets available (better seal?) 2. what torque for manifold bolts 3. where the vacuum line connects to the front su hs6 carb it goes into a 90* rubber connector---how do i get this disconnected? thanks Grant

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Mine came with a brazed up manifold. It had probably done quite a lot of miles like that.

It also had a broken clamp between the gear-box and exhaust pipe. I have always believed these two things were related.

The pipe was hanging between the mounts right at the end and the mainfold. It probably wangs up and down if you do this.

Al.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, what is a fair price for a TR4A exhaust manifold and where do they usually crack? I have a friend that may have one for sale. Berry

OP
G

grant tr4a

Al, thanks for your post about the hanger bracket on the trans bolt. I checked to see if that bracket was not doing it's job. Found that there was no bracket at all in that location. The first bracket I found was behind the rear tires. So it was maybe 8 feet to the first bracket. (maybe that had something to do with it breaking) Checked out the parts book and found the bracket that I am missing. I will get one and install it when it goes back together. Grant