• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Self intro and need a little help

bobidvm

Freshman Member
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post my new member intro, but if not hopefully someone will redirect me. I have recently had my 1959 tr3 brought home to get it going again after about 7 years sitting in a garage. I drained all fluids, oiled cylinders and valves, hand turned over engine. Unfortunately it seems the clutch maybe frozen. I move the metal arm but it swings about 1 inch which I don't think is correct. Any thoughts? Thanks. Also I live in San Francisco Bay Area(small city called Piedmont in the heart of Oakland) and if anyone knows a good Triumph mechanic would love to hear. Arnold

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
British Car Forum? Check.
New Member Section? Check.

I'd say you're in exactly the right place for an introduction! However, technical questions are better asked over in the Triumphs forum.

Your clutch might be OK, that sounds fairly normal with the slave cylinder removed. Inside, the throwout bearing is moving away from the clutch until it eventually hits the front of the gearbox. With the slave installed, though, you'll adjust the free-play to be only about 1/10" (per the book).

Good luck with your resuscitation project!

Are you familiar with Triumphest, or the Vintage Triumph Register? They are holding a joint annual convention this fall, just up the road from you. It's also being put on by your local Triumph club, which would be a great place to ask about local mechanics.
https://www.triumphtravelers.org/

OP
B

bobidvm

Freshman Member
Dear Great Pumpkin( I feel like Charlie Brown) Thanks for the link to the triumph travelers. I guess I need to check and see if the slave cylinder is moving,however before I disconnected it when I pressed on clutch pedal it just went to floor with no resistance. I would rather repair slave cylinder than pull out gearbox. I guess I'm not sure on what you meant by "normal" with slave cylinder removed. Thanks. Arnold

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry bout the "Great Pumpkin" thing; not my doing. The forum passes out titles based on the number of posts.

I was assuming (and we all know what that does) that you had already removed the slave cylinder when you saw the 1" of movement. If the cylinder, pushrod, etc are in place, then that much movement does indicate a problem. The pushrod is adjustable to some extent, but no more than about 1/2" and you're supposed to adjust to only 1/10" of freeplay (against the force of the return spring).

But no resistance at the pedal probably just means no fluid in the system; very likely for a car that has been stored that long with ordinary brake fluid in it.

FWIW, my current TR3 had been rode hard and put away wet about 30 years before I started work on it, and here's what I found at the clutch slave:

The cooling system had some interesting problems too:

No liquid at all in either of them.