• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-arching 1/4 elliptic springs vs. buying new

Fred_Maves

I now have my `59 Bugeye on the road, but need to convert the racing springs set up to a more touring friendly ride. Currently, I "bottom out" on nearly every road imperfection. I purchased new front coil springs from my usual go to parts guy and will replace the previously "sagged" units. My rear springs have been de-arched and need to be either re-arched or replaced. Now, I have been told that the new (replacement) 1/4 elliptic springs being sold now are not of acceptable quality and that they begin to sag. I live near Madison, WI. The guys at Madison Spring tell me that they re-arch spring at their facility.

I would appreciate any input,
Thank you, Fred

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'd try to work with the old spring if possible. The new 10 Leaf stuff I'm told is way too stiff and jacks the rear end up in the air. Some compensate by removing spring leaves. Someone will chime in with a recommendation. If you can find old springs go for it. Try bugeyeparts.com. There was a guy parting out a BE under Used Parts available.

OP
F

Fred_Maves

Jim, thanks for your time and input. :encouragement:So, I am leaning toward having my current springs re-arched. I am installing the new coil springs today and should be able to gauge the ride height needed for the rear 1/4 elliptic springs. Taking the current rear height reading should give me a benchmark to determine the number of inches of change needed for the spring bending technicians to achieve a level ride.

I assume the front telemetry (camber) will change some due to the rise in ride height (?).

- Fred

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Fred, I went through this on my BE build a couple of years ago. My pot of parts came with an original set of rear springs as well as a set of "new" leaf springs. I installed the new springs and it jacked the rear about 1 1/2 inches. I took the springs out and tried to remove some leaves, etc, etc, (BTW, do you know what a pain it is to R and I the rear springs) to get the ride height right. Finally gave up and installed the original ones, and surprise, looks and rides great!
Scott in CA

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Fred,

Measure the height of the "New Springs" you've got. I went through a process of trying to order the correct spings for my first Bugsy 10 years ago. Time after time I ended up with 1500 R/B Springs which turned Bugsy into an Off Road Spridget. There was a QC problem with incorrectly color coded springs. I did end up finally ordering a set of BE Front Springs which I removed last year when I replaced with a set I pulled out of a '68 Sprite that was being parted out.

Those springs are now sitting on a shelf in my garage. Will be curious to see the paint code markings that are on your springs as well as to compare spring height. I am fairly certain these were correct for the lighter weight of a BE.

Country flag
I did as Jim described. I bought the rally spec springs and removed three leafs. Then installed a wedge to bring the ride height down. It was not hard and I'm very happy with the result. I've also wondered if the thicker leafs help minimize lateral movement of the axle. I do not have a panhard, but do not have hardly any lateral axle movement that I can detect.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Fred, I just sold 2 sets despite my admonitions to my customer. He took them apart to be sure they were painted and have some interleaves. They had neither paint or interleaves. He is essentially rebuilding the new sets, and still hasn't gotten to the ride height issue. I'm glad you're taking my advice.

Peter C

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
first do the two finger thing on top of the rear wheel.... then check the spring box for failure.... then the shocks that meet the mustard and have the correct link ...then the OEM 14 leaf

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Triva... also OEM springs have different ratings from the factory and are marked as such... the home market had the higher rated one on the right and the reverse for the export...

D

Deleted member 9684

if anyone has any interest, i have a set of the NEW springs. they have been completely disassembled, powdercoated and reassembled. i have twice their oroginal cost in them now and wont be using them. make me an offer. ill let them go for less than new.

Country flag
If you are having a "fire sale", I might be interested. A pair of new ones cost $160. Send me a PM of how little you will take. :smile:

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a spare set of 1/4 springs in great shape if you are interested.