• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

USAA Auto Insurance

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

Anybody use them? Good, bad or ugly?
Been with Allstate for over 25 years, they are pricing me out of the marketplace.
Same three cars, same coverage, USAA is almost half of Allstate.
Thanks.
Dave

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Suppose to be among the best Dave.
Only you vets and family can use em.
Hmmmm, does that include Kellysguy?

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
USAA is the best. Allstate cancelled our home insurance last Fall-this after 30+years of being their customer with only one claim due to Hurricane Hugo in 1989. They said our house was too old (over 16 years old) and also because we did not have car insurance with them. I take EVERY opportunity to share my feelings about Allstate now with anyone who will listen. USAA welcomed us with open arms and had much lower rates to boot! Very happy now. Eric

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Long ago a pal with a Volvo wagon and a VW bus was with Allstate, he bought a Lotus Elan and they ~dropped~ him. Their excuse was: "That's a non-standard automobile." He was then on some kind of "high risk list" and ANY carrier he approached would quote him outrageous rates. I've never even considered Allstate as a result.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doc - are you saying that he was quoted high rates by other carriers because Allstate dropped him? or he was quoted high rates because he owned a Lotus Elan?

For example, I wonder how car insurers treat "average every day family car drivers" - if the drivers mention they also race F1 cars, insured or not.

Tom

OP
G

Hmmmm, does that include Kellysguy?

I'm not a vet and have Allstate and love 'em. Treated us great w/ Katrina and we have the lowest insurance of anyone I know. Kellys truck is the main one w/ my stuff coming in at ~$25 each per month. The MG is $27, Lincoln $24 and the S10 $23. That's just liability and uninsured motorsit of course.

Don, what made you think I was a vet?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Billy- That was a jibe at what you call Dave
Didn't think you were a vet

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Long ago a pal with a Volvo wagon and a VW bus was with Allstate, he bought a Lotus Elan and they ~dropped~ him. Their excuse was: "That's a non-standard automobile." He was then on some kind of "high risk list" and ANY carrier he approached would quote him outrageous rates. I've never even considered Allstate as a result.

Anyone who "can" use USAA who doesn't is throwing money out the window IMHO. I became a member when I first got my Commission. I did not qualify during the ten years I was enlisted. At that time you had to be an Officer to qualify for USAA. Later they opened it up to all military and then even to dependents of military. I'm always getting junk mail from insurance (Allstate, Farmers, and others) asking "are you paying too much for your car insurance?" I just laugh and throw them away.

Stuka

Freshman Member
Been with USAA since '69, our Son since he went to college. Would not change for anything. They advertise to the public now, not sure if those accounts are still through another vessel or not. All my investments and banking are with them, feel they would be well worth including in anyone's look-see

Stuka

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We went from The Hartford to USAA and have wondered why we didn't do it sooner. Have saved a ton of money and the service provided is fantastic. When I cancel a vehicle and add one the card is e-mailed for me to print within 5 minutes...usually sooner. When we bought our last motorhome it was half of what Hartford quoted. Our places in Fl. and NM are paid for and we're doing the homeowners policies when our vacation is finished. and even though we've been with a military credit union for a solid 31 years...we're thinking of moving to USAA banking. I hate change so this should tell you something.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I switched last night...then had them quote me for homeowners.
Geez.
They want to value the house about 90K less than Allstate does for 150 a year more, and if we make it the value Allstate has on the place, it's 350 a year more.

OP
G

Billy- That was a jibe at what you call Dave
Didn't think you were a vet

Went right over me nugget. Look at when it was posted. Needless to say, I aint a mornin' person.

JP, aint been no shootin's 'round here. No idea what you're talkin' about. :whistle:

Ture story: Got pulled over once 'cause of some trouble the night before with a car that fit the description.

What seems to be the problem officer?

you're wanted in a shooting....

A SHOOTING ?!?!?!?!

Well, the guy says you shot at him...

Shot at him???....Was he leakin' ????

Uhhh, no....

Well then... I can assure you I wasn't shootin' at nobody....cause if I was... he'd be a'leakin. :laugh:

The cop laughed and let me go.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ture story: Got pulled over once 'cause of some trouble the night before with a car that fit the description.

True story, a few years ago was driving back from Florida and got in a fender bender in the parking lot of the New River Gorge Bridge. Ranger was checking ID when he asks, "have I ever been arrested?" No says I. Oh he says because your name has come up as an alias for a man who is wanted. Looked around and was completely surrounded by rangers, all with hands on holsters. Cap saws, "you've been very cooperative so far, so I won't handcuff you." Thank you officer. Anyway, to make a long story short, the fellow they was looking for had many tattoos on forearms - glad I had mine removed. :wink:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've had USAA since ~'66. Couldn't be happier. Not only do I get good rates, but I get a check from them every year. I did have to put the Austin Healey with Hagerty since USAA doesn't write classic car insurance.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doc - are you saying that he was quoted high rates by other carriers because Allstate dropped him? or he was quoted high rates because he owned a Lotus Elan?

For example, I wonder how car insurers treat "average every day family car drivers" - if the drivers mention they also race F1 cars, insured or not.

Tom

It was due to him being "dropped" by a carrier. Apparently they keep track of that stuff. Some sort of risk assessment. Nevermind the circumstance. grrrr.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Similar story.... My sister was dropped by Allstate because at the time both my sister and brother were living in the same house with my mom. Since my brother had numerous minor fender-benders, Allstate dropped my sister. Their reasoning was that since my brother lived in the same household, he had access to her car.
My sister had her own car, and my brother had his own car but that's the logic Allstate used to drop my sister. My sister by the way never had an accident or claim with Allstate.