• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

carpets ???

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
A customer is getting to the point of installation of carpeting and floor insulation on his TR3 and it has been two eons since I had to buy one.

I am open to suggestions, preferences and out right bias for different kits and vendors.
smilie1.gif

Jack

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jack - there are tons of BCF threads on carpeting and insulation. I used foam carpet underlayment as the heat insulation. Tremendous improvement.

Edit: I think the link to Jack's Cars is broken in your signature line. Takes me to a blank page. But if I type in the link manually in my browser, it works fine.

Tom

OP
T

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Thanks on the site link Tom !

I intend to have him install some insulation/sound deadening material in places that will not ordinarily be soaked by water, but I wanted to know if there was a "latest and greatest" kit or vendor out there. I am going to push him for synthetic in a cut pile in black. The transmission cover will be "tacked" in place with strategic spots of adhesive and some of the rest, as in the fender covers, will be permanently installed, but the flooring will be removable as much as possible to help with the inevitable dry outs.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Now your link works!

I have old black wool carpeting - but still looks good and serves its purpose. I didn't tack down the foam at all - same reason as you. Wanted to be able to easily remove it in case it were to get wet. I find the original carpet hooks hold it all in place anyway.

IMG_0708.jpg

OP
T

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Unless I am convinced otherwise I want him to avoid natural wool as I am afraid that in our humid climate and since the car is going to to be stored under a car cover under a car port I don't want any mold or mildew issues. Thoughts?

Yep, I fixed the link but it was a pain. I like Basil and I like this site, but it is rather clunky in the maintenance department. Hard to find things, difficult to remember how to find them and then there is, at least to my knowledge, no "test" folder that changes can be run through before tossing them out into the real world.

Gotta go back to bed for a while. I was up way too early with a sick puppy.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
PS - I did a *lot* of comparisons before deciding on the simple carpet foam padding. The big name stuff as well as cheap HD stuff. Laid them down over a known heat source and measured temp of the padding after ten minutes. None in their standard thickness actually reduced "heat creep" as well as the stuff I chose. Came in a $10 six foot roll similar to this:

Carpet-Foam-Underlay-bond-with-red-non-woven-fabric.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Quick thought on the moisture question - if the car is stored outdoors under a car cover, you're almost guaranteed to keep moisture inside. Encourages mildew - not good. Free air flow is much better than "enclosed" outdoor storage, I'd think.

Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's always a pain if you live in a humid environment. If you cover, you get mildew. If you leave open, the dust, pollen and dirt cover everything just as badly.

The best may be to use just a dust cover...not waterproof. That should keep the dust out and prevent the humidity from accumulating...