• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB '71?? MGB on eBay - a bit odd??

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That is an odd duck. If the VIN is correct ("GHN5UB223064G" according to the eBay ad) that is a '71 VIN, not that much later than mine, actually. The "B" just before the numbers stands for the '71 model year -- that model year code only appeared on the USA market cars.

The "G" at the end stands for Abington.

Probably a car that was "re-vinned" to get around a state's emissions testing requirements. Assuming the rest of the car is as original, it's a '74.5 - '76 car -- a new dash style started with the '77 cars.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Drews 100% right! Shame of it all is, an unwary buyer will think he has something he doesn't. Could be a suite for misrepresentation and could get very sticky. I've seen it before. PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
I think
the Stickers and decals
will help it sell for more $$
and
it just might help it go faster

I noticed it a week ago
and tried to notify the seller
about the year's difference.
He just ignored me

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Supposedly sold for $3550. The new owner might already know what he bought, if he doesn't, at one point I'm sure he'll find out. PJ

Could you imagine going to a DMV to register the car and have a rep that's MG wise to check the vin number for comparison tell you, that's not a 71, it's a 74 1/2 or later, what's it doing with a 71 vin number? Hmm, might be stolen, I'll have to turn this over to the police dept to be checked out! Could get very complicated. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Supposedly sold for $3550. The new owner might already know what he bought, if he doesn't, at one point I'm sure he'll find out. PJ

Could you imagine going to a DMV to register the car and have a rep that's MG wise to check the vin number for comparison tell you, that's not a 71, it's a 74 1/2 or later, what's it doing with a 71 vin number? Hmm, might be stolen, I'll have to turn this over to the police dept to be checked out! Could get very complicated. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

True, though in my experience, "MG wise" inspectors are pretty thin on the ground, and, I'm pretty sure they disbanded the "bogus MG task force." :grin: When I registered mine, the guy had no idea what an MG even was! "what does MG stand for?" " - err, MG. (like VW)" "Oh, and is that the model name?" "No, that's the company" and on we went.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
True, though in my experience, "MG wise" inspectors are pretty thin on the ground, and, I'm pretty sure they disbanded the "bogus MG task force." :grin: When I registered mine, the guy had no idea what an MG even was! "what does MG stand for?" " - err, MG. (like VW)" "Oh, and is that the model name?" "No, that's the company" and on we went.

Went to Autozone to buy some stuff, usually I avoid this place, cuz once, when in there to get a part for a Studebaker, the kid asked me "Are Studebakers a foreign car? Never heard of them before" So I replied, yeah, they're made in Canada.

D

Deleted member 8987

Went to Autozone to buy some stuff, usually I avoid this place, cuz once, when in there to get a part for a Studebaker, the kid asked me "Are Studebakers a foreign car? Never heard of them before" So I replied, yeah, they're made in Canada.

Dumb Cooks. Used to was Indiana.....used to was on performance races, to see last one standing, Dumb Cooks were usually first ones to drop out, with front wheels collapsing inwards at the top and the oil pan dragging.
Used to do a lot of work on Dumb Cooks....errr....Stupid Bakers.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hey, I had a Studebaker when I was stationed at Gitmo. There for over two years. The engine in ran like a jewel and quiet as a church mouse. The ride was great! Only issue was, you had to look at it twice to see which was the front or back. Even though it was ugly, it kinda grew on you. I guess I felt sorry for it's looks.:love_heart: PJ