• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Diaster Averted!!!!!

Country flag
Nice day in Alabama today so I cranked up and drove a couple of my cars around. The E type hadn't been started since before Christmas, so I was happy when it cranked right up but there was a noise that didn't sound correct. I let it run a minute and started investigating the noise I was hearing. The crankshaft pulley/damper was wobbling a bit. Shut the engine down and reached down to wiggle the pulley. It was very loose and moved as I pulled on it. I felt of the big retaining bolt, I could spin it with my hand so I unscrewed it out of the crankshaft. Wouldn't that have been nice to be running down the highway and that big pulley come off! Its a 1 5/16" nut so I'll have to get a big socket at the garage tomorrow so I can put it back in. Think I'll put some treadlocker on it when I go back. Whew, still a little nervous about finding that.

Marv

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Good thing you actually did a pre-inspection before ruinning a good ride. It would be a good example to all to do a pre-check an sorting before cranking the sleeping beauty and then making the casual first yearly or monthly drive.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hi Marvin, that sounds like a incident I had when I bought my 69 vett home for the first time... Except I was not so lucky as you! I just owned my 427 435 hp Tri carb corvette for 15 minutes, driving it back to my home on the interstate at 75 mph when a rod went through the oil pan, locked up my rear wheels, sprayed oil all over my windshield as my corvette did a 360 degree spin in front of the semi truck that was behind me! As I coasted to the side of the interstate and got out of the car...I noticed that the left side pipe was blown from the car and missing...I never did find it! To make matters worse, when I came back with a tow truck driver...I saw 2 guys from the hood trying to tie a chain to the front of my corvette and toe it off with them! All this drama in less then a hour after owning it! After tearing down the motor, I found all the bottom end crank bolts loose and just hand tight...They used bathtub caulk to seal the oil pan and valve covers! Ever since I always tow my newly bought cars home for a full intensive inspection before taking to the road! That's what I do with all my British cars as well....some of the things I find really amaze me! Anyway, So glad you shut that Jag down in time! Whew........ I shudder to think what would have happened if that pully let go on you...by all means torque that bolt to spec and use that lock tight!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Marvin you're a lucky man in spite of the bad luck. As I am not much of a mechanic I do know when something doesn't sound right, it's almost instinctive. I will soon be taking Onslow (my '96 Jag) out for some cruising but after assisting husband Doug with putting the battery back in and making sure all systems are functioning, I will simply let it run for a while then tip-toe out of the driveway and take it slow for a little bit. Then - well if you're related to the local cops mums the word. I've taken out Agatha (my Healey) almost regularly as we've had very little snow and what we did have melted quickly. Onslow's battery gets disconnected every year before the really cold weather because if we don't the battery goes dead in an incredibly short time. Whatever is happening that I don't see, it sure does take a lot out of the battery. Battery was brand new at the beginning of last year's driving season - Sears die-hard and the best. Anyway I digress.

Your situation should be a nudge to all of us who drive classic cars and those of us who when buying a not so new car need to tread lightly. I just bought a Lexus SC430 and made the local Lexus dealership assure me they had test-driven it before I put my butt down. It's a 2005 with extreme low mileage (51,000) but I still had a concern because of its being a performance vehicle. Did get an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty for 4 years.

Geez, I'm done - sure did get carried away in my response. Time for the morning routine and then Agatha and I are going for coffee. Enjoy your day and I sure wouldn't mind having an E-type in my garage... You're a lucky man! (twice)

OP
Marvin Gruber
Country flag
Update, wanted to drive the Jag last week. So in a hurry I just tightened the bolt up and went for a spin. When I returned I opened the bonnet to check everything. Fanbelt was wobbling pretty good. The bolt had loosened up again. I removed it this time and put locktite on it. Letting it dry good before I try it again, today.

Marv

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Once the crank bolt is torqued back on, there's a locking bracket that goes over it and bolts to two of the 4 fan belt pully bolts. It keeps it from ever un-screwing out.

Phil.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Or safety wire it. Never seen them come loose so often. Loc-tite will help, but you still need bracket as above, because of torque specs of these engines. I.ve seen the wafer washers left out on repairs only to have parts drop off later.

OP
Marvin Gruber
Country flag
Phil
I thought there should be some type of locking device for it but apparently the guy that built the engine (12 years ago) didn't put one on. Its hard to see and get to the bolt. I'll go with the locktite for now, if it comes loose again I'll put it up on the rack and see what I can do.

Marv

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
SNG Barratt has them ( C 23158) for $7.50 or $5.25. I think the difference is the A.C. cars have more pulleys and the locking tab washer is a bit deeper. I know it's near impossible to get the correct high torque on that bolt, while in the car. The lock tab and the 2 bolts that hold it on are very easy to get to. Very cheap insurance. If you use Loctite red, there will be a future mechanic that hates you. Green or blue are enough, but still, use the lock tab.

Phil.