• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help From Inspector Gadget Types

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
What do you have to do?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have a similar high ceiling in the living room. I can get to the bulbs and the fan motor housing with my large step ladder. Not sure which part your talking about, but if I had to get all the way to the top where the tube enters the ceiling, I'd probably go rent a larger ladder, or possible scaffolding (sturdier).

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Whenever we were sheetrocking stuff like that (even doing repairs), we'd use scaffolds.

These days, I've seen some really big "step ladders" that might work.....rental place?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Whenever we were sheetrocking stuff like that (even doing repairs), we'd use scaffolds.

These days, I've seen some really big "step ladders" that might work.....rental place?

If it were me, given the height, I'd rent some scaffolds. My ceiling fan is way up there and If I ever had to get to the place where it attaches to the ceiling I'd opt for that vice a ladder. Once you get to a certain point ladders start to get a little too shaky for me.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I live my life on ladders but 12' is as high as I have seen a step

Never mind just checked
The yard near me has a 16 footer

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Sound like you are wanting to put a remote control in the canopy. If that's the case you probably should rent a 16 ft step. Just remember you will be way up with nothing in front of you. I've done this just under 20 ft with a 12ft step and my 24 ft extension ladder strapped to it. I would climb the extension ladder until I got to the top of the stepladder and then hang the light or fan. Unless you are nuts I would not recommend this method but it worked for me. If you just want to control the fan speed and light dimmer I would put a control in place of the switches and save a lot of trouble. Remember the remote won't make it change direction.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I just wanna see ya pull those chains......

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Greg, very familiar with them.
I have one of their extension planks.
Very stable but a ton to carry.
The one I would need weighs 80 lbs
That's a small child
But will check what the yard carries

Somebody asked what I was doing.
When the contractor built my house they wired all the fans in the house with 14/2.
That don't help if you want to control the fan and light separately.
So I'm installing a remote sensor to it so I can do both
Right now the fan is on high and the lights are to bright.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Why not install lower wattage bulbs?

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Actually I really don't even want the lights on as There are a few can lights above I don't even use.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well then that's easy to solve... get a BB-gun.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Be safe than sorry, hire someone. If they fall . they have their own insurance. If you fall, outa work and your pain and no driving for an extended time!

Last edited:

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I've never recommended a light kit on a fan that high. Another option which means you don't have to go to the canopy is to blank off the light kit and have a fan only with a speed control at the switch. If you have worked on a 12 ft ladder you probably won't have a problem going up a 16.