• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Selling my brother's Bugeye

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
My brother John passed away last week. Among his many possessions and loves was his 1958 Bugeye Sprite. John bought the car around 1975 when he was stationed at the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station in Alameda, CA. He bought it from another fellow on the base and though the car was in poor running condition at the time, it was basically solid. John trailered the car back home to Seattle after he was discharged in 1978. He owned it the entire time, nearly 38 years.

After he returned to Seattle, John decided he wanted to remake the Bugeye into his idealized vision of a modern British sportscar, circa 1980, utilizing some of the skills he had learned while maintaining aircraft at the base. Though regrettable now, he completely rewired the car to mil-spec standards including all connections and switchgear. During this time the car was totally stripped to bare metal, went from BRG to white imron, a Judson supercharger was added, John rebuilt the engine and transmission, installed aircraft style gauges, and much more that I've forgotten.

As long-duration projects often tend to go, there were several setbacks, funds diminished and John eventually lost interest in finishing the car. He could never bear to sell it though and the Bugeye spent several years at my home, in a local garage he rented with a friend to do amateur auto repair, and finally in the little garage in which it currently sits. The car was never left out in the elements in all that time, always being garaged or dry and covered.

The final blow happened about seven years ago when someone lost control of their car and crashed into the garage door, hitting the Sprite in the left front corner and pushing it into the back wall of the garage. After inspecting the damage and taking a few pictures, John shut the door and never visited his car again. The car has good "bones" but now basically needs everything redone.

It's now my sad task let the Bugeye go on to a better home. In the next week or two I will be transporting the car several miles north of Seattle, closer to my current residence, to make a closer inspection. However, if there's anyone locally who might be interested in either evaluating the car or even making an offer, please let me know. My name is Bill Estill.

I'm not greedy. I just want the Bugeye to go to an appreciative home.

I took these pictures earlier today, an unseasonably warm and sunny Seattle day.

DSCF5770.jpgDSCF5771.jpgDSCF5776.jpgDSCF5782.jpgDSCF5784.jpg
DSCF5788.jpg

Last edited:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sad story Bill. Very sorry to hear about your brother. From the looks of things, you're not that bad off, but of course I can't see if there's any frame damage. You're actually better off that it was hit with the fiberglass bonnet on, rather than the steel one. The fiberglass will be easier to fix if someone wants to, and the steel bonnet being intact is a big plus. I see there is some sheet metal damage at the rear, but doesn't look all that bad. There are a lot of Spridget enthusiast in your area, I think you have no trouble finding a good home.

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
Thanks man. There are a bunch of great enthusiasts here and I hope one of them might enjoy taking on this project.

Although I've hardly posted at all since joining a few years ago, this forum has been indispensible to me and my '74 Midget.

Country flag
That would be a good start for someone that wants a custom daily driver.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's tough to lose a brother. I know all too well.

RickB

Yoda
Bill, I'm sorry for your loss.

I think my wife would probably do something drastic to me... but I've got a Bugeye tub and a bunch of parts I've been accumulating for a future project.
I need to get the 73 Midget done and out of the shop as that's my only covered work space at the moment.
That being said, I'm always interested in a project.
I'm in Snoqualmie, just about 27 miles east of Seattle.
Rick Bastedo

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hi Bill,
that was a nice story about your brother and his car. Hopefully you have alot of great memories of Him when He was still with us. I'd love to have the car, but I have one already that's still apart in my two car attached, suburban home's garage :-(. I'll send this message thread to a friend of mine in Mount Vernon who has a lot of contacts in the British car community here.
Regards
Mark

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill,

Sorry to hear about your brother. I will put the word out tonight at our local MG car club meeting to see if anyone is interested. I would be, but It's just not in the cards. If you need a hand, let me know.

By the way, how are the MG and Lotus Pens I made for you holding up?

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and offers of assistance. They are all very much appreciated.

Rich, the two pens are still perfect and working well, although with all the notes I've been scratching out lately, the Lotus pen is now in need of a refill!

-Bill

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Man, if I had the money, (and a garage, and lived closer,) I'd be all over this. I think the mil-spec work looks fantastic. And a Judson blower too?! A little body work, a lick of paint, and Bob's yer uncle.

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
The fiberglass bonnet will be going to RickB, probably this coming weekend. Rick will take a closer look at the car with me at that time and should be able to provide a more detailed analysis of the Bugeye's condition.

-Bill

PSJ

Hi Bill. My condolences on the loss of your brother. I actually met John a number of years ago, and looked at his car; but didn't have the funds to give him what I felt it was worth. I think that it's a gem; but it will be hard to find a good buyer in it's current state. I live just a mile or two from it's current location; please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way.

Phil

OP
FredApplerot

FredApplerot

Freshman Member
I spent several hours at my brother's place earlier today and came across his box of archives which record the Sprite saga from day one. He was meticulous at keeping every scrap of paper documenting his ownership including receipts dating from Jan. 1976. Books, manuals, contacts, drawings for the custom modifications, wiring diagrams, etcetera and so forth.

Since John never drove (!) he also never transferred title or licensed the car. He always said he'd get a license when the car was finished. I did locate the original California title, signed-off to John and the bill of sale. Six hundred bucks.

And one other item...

DSCF5795.jpg

RickB

Yoda
Bill,
That's great about the documentation.
It makes a big difference to some people when they can see the history of the car.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Heh Bill losing a brother is very sad... As is having to part with his pride and joy.... I'm in Lynnwood and would like to take a peek if your ready...Eric