• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Green Stuff Brakes....

G

I just installed my new EBC Kevlar brake pads on my TR6. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I can now stop!! These pads are truly amazing. I went with the Green Stuff model, rated for fast road use (they offer two higher models) and these things bring my car to a sure, straight stop without that feel that one often gets in a panic stop, "will I make it..?"
I would recommend these to everyone. I could go - now I can stop!
Wish they made them for the drums in the back.

Bill

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I heard they were good several years ago, but could not find the pads for a '73 TR6. Sometime in '72 the hole & pin size were changed and all that was available was the pre-'72 size. If you have a '73 or later, what's your source?

OP
G

Gottem from The Roadster Factory. My rotors were new, had only one set of pads run on them (15K miles) and no visible scoring. Didn't have to turn them. The Green Stuff pads seemed to smooth them out to perfectly smooth. They really do bring the beast to a halt. I even went in after and retorqued everything on the front end just because it grabbed so smoothly and tightly. A plus is they are totally quiet.
They are pricey, though. Worth every penny.
Bill

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

That's good to hear, a set of EBC pads arrived last week and is awaiting installation on my TR4. They were on back order for a couple months (And that's a giveaway that I also got them from TRF, right?).

Do you have plain rotors on your car, or cross-drilled or drilled and slotted? I ask because I've been considering cross drilling mine. I've got drilled and slotted rotors on my Land Rover, and they really help keep the brakes cool stopping that 2 ton beast. My only objection is that they are a little noisy at all times, the slots seem to be the culprits. Drilled-only rotors I've used in the past haven't been nearly as noisy.

From what I understand, Green Stuff pads sell out almost as quickly as they arrive from England.

EBC is gradually expanding their line, so the poster with the '73 might try to get them again.

There are 4 different compounds, apparently, with the green pads being the most street-worthy and most widely sold. The blue are a little more race oriented, probably harder on rotors, but still usable on street. The black and yellow are strictly race compounds, need to reach a higher heat range before they become really effective and are harder on rotors.

Somewhere I saw kevlar shoes for Triumph rear brakes, not sure if they are for TR4 or TR6 or both, though. I think maybe Ted Schumacher has them at www.tsimportedautomotive.com

I would have a little concern about locking up the rear drums, though, with too aggressive a compound. Overheating might also be a concern. (I've got Alfin drums on backorder, too!)

Again, thanks for the report on Green Stuff. I can't wait to get the car back on the road and try them out!

Cheers!

Alan

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...a set of EBC pads arrived last week and is awaiting installation on my TR4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Before you hunker down to install them you might do a trial fit of the securing pin to one of the holes in a pad. For a long time green pads were supplied that required those holes to be enlarged to accept the TR4 pin.

Easy enough to do but thought you might check before you're all set for brake work and find you have to return to the drill press.

mike crane

I installed Ebc green pads and following the instructions left out the anti-rattle shims. Boy did the brakes howl. I installed the shims with anti squeal goop on the piston side. They were fine for a while but have started squealing again. Next I am going to install the adhesive anti-squeal strips. Anybody else have a squeal problem? What did you do to alleviate it? By the way the rotors are nearly new. The green pads are making as much dust as the semi-metallic that I replaced. I'm kinda bummed about having to tear it apart again. Oh well!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
With new rotors I had brake dust that was fixed by going with the semi-metallic from Moss ("guaranteed not to dust, squeal or fade")... still had a nasty squeal that was remedied with the blue goo. Sounds like the adhesive strips are the next step.

I do not recall which TR you have but in addition to changing pads I disabled the restrictor valve used on the front brakes of TR3s & 4s -- it was causing drag and dust which was part of my problem.

OP
G

Well, I thought that I had found the perfect brake pads. They stop well, very well. They have left an amazing amount of brake pad dust on my wheels. I ran them hard this weekend, lots of stop and go, two hundred miles. My nice shiny Panasports were GREY when I got home. The previous pads left no brake dust. Is this the way they are gonna be? Bummer.

Bill