• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

James Bond Jaguar Question

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Just finished reading Ian Fleming's Diamonds are Forever (1956) and a couple of the bad guys from the Detroit Purple Mob drive an "old sports model Jag with a rumble seat" (pg 155, 2012 Thomas and Mercer edition). Would anyone care to guess the model? It would be "low slung," have a fold down windshield, and easily-missed front wings. ;)

Any insight from the Jag experts would be a great help!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Looking through the archive of history, even Swallows had sidecars not rumble seats. The early SS1s had a boot extended out the rear of the main body which resembled a Ford rumble seat. Even the SS100 rear only had a spare tyre carrier and the rear area behind the seats was for the top. So, with Ian being a lad from London, he may have at one time saw an altered body ( which was known back in the SS1 times ) and construed it to his books. Nevertheless, they were never brought to the screen. The Mark series of Jaguars would really have to be altered for a rumble. Unless he pictured a 2+2 with back seat, a rumble seat, having maybe never seeing the Fords or Chevys from the 30s.

OP
CinneaghTR

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Looking through the archive of history, even Swallows had sidecars not rumble seats. The early SS1s had a boot extended out the rear of the main body which resembled a Ford rumble seat. Even the SS100 rear only had a spare tyre carrier and the rear area behind the seats was for the top. So, with Ian being a lad from London, he may have at one time saw an altered body ( which was known back in the SS1 times ) and construed it to his books. Nevertheless, they were never brought to the screen. The Mark series of Jaguars would really have to be altered for a rumble. Unless he pictured a 2+2 with back seat, a rumble seat, having maybe never seeing the Fords or Chevys from the 30s.

Thanks, Larry. What would be a good example of a Mark series 2+2? Evidently, there was enough room for a villain and a set of golf clubs in the "rumble" seat. Fleming is pretty detailed about his cars, but also would not let them get in the way of a good story, too. I'm not looking for an exact car anyway. I would like to get in the ballpark just to see what the car might have been.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I think Ian Fleming would have known what a Rumble Seat was - he'd spent time in the US during WW2, and would surely have seen a few inter-war British cars with rumble seats, or even the post-war Triumph Roadsters that had them.
A Jaguar that was old in 1956, fitting the description, must have been a pre-war SS, some of which were 4-seaters, though not with a rumble seat.

(I meant to write all this earlier, but posted an abridged version. Sorry, finger-fumbles again.)

D

Deleted member 8987

https://www.jag-lovers.org/early2.html
"The early coupe had helmet style front fenders (wings) with no running boards, rather cramped rear seats, a leather covered roof with non-functional landau bars (pram irons) on the sides thus no side windows for the rear seat passengers, and an optional rumble seat (dickey seat). Hmm, would that make it a six-seater sports car?"

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I did not mean a Mark series of Jags as 2+2. Only the XKE had a 2+2. I was assuming that an over zealous Brit had modified one of the Marks IV-IX ( or butchered ) to make a rumble seat. I really do not think the English weather was up to a rumble seat or mother-in-law seat as the US. Bad enough sometimes for the Roadsters in the misty cold balmy weather. I can't imagine an English Londoner getting the Jags screwed up. I guess it was all in the storys.