• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone want to go to the Glen Curtiss museum tomorrow?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
It's in Hammondsport N.Y. I'm going. it's the mid winter vintage motorcycle show! I'll take my camera.
Here's a link
https://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/
Scroll to the bottom to read about the event.
I'm gonna try to get there by noon or so.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
If I had more than half a tank of gas, I'd be heading out there.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ben,

I want to go,but........

- Doug

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Wow, I haven't been there is years. Great place. I remember some giant Chrysler experimental aircraft engine there. The carburettor was sooo big I could easily stick my fists down the throat. I would love to see some of their replicas fly...

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Ohhh Yeaa! The stuff on permanent display is fantastic, then throw in over 100 vintage and antique motorcycles from area clubs, and a local BBQ joint set up selling dynamite pulled-pork sandwiches, and I had a good day. Highlights included talking with the owner of a sweet barn find 1911 Indian about some of the technical bits, taking a "tour" with one of the senior restoration mechanics and seeing secret stashes of stuff behind the scenes while we chatted about antique engines, planes and bikes, and getting a lead on some parts for my motorized bicycle build.
I may wind up doing some volunteer work this summer just to be able to turn some wrenches on that great old stuff.
Pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Would love to go but I have the same 5 hour drive as George.

Every time I go past there, I'm towing the race car (to Watkins Glen) and am usually on a schedule. When I'm retired, I'll take a few extra days up there to do that plus the wine tours.

And for those of you who are closer to the NY-Metro area, another great place is Rhinebeck

https://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

The amazing thing about Rhinebeck is the fact that they fly so many of these old planes. Check their flying schedule (and the weather) to be sure.
It's another very cool place (with lots of old cars too).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
DSCF1232.jpg DSCF1219.jpgDSCF1249.jpgDSCF1229.jpg
Jeesh. I'm having a heck of a time posting pics. Anyhow,
The first one is the 1911 Indian barn find. the second is Glen Curtiss' record breaker. it hit over 120 MPH in 1907. the third is the "America" seaplane Tom asked about, and the last one is a C-class runabout just to show some of the different stuff they have there.
Ill try tomorrow to use a different hosting site for the pics. The google one stinks.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Ben, is the V-8 bike the original? I thought I read the orig was in Smithsonian. Curtiss was really a gifted engineer, and the 8th grade education makes his accomplishments that much more special. IMHO

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Dale, You are correct. the original V-8 Curtiss is in the Smithsonian. Many years ago the Curtiss museum was allowed to borrow it, and they made a perfect nut and bolt copy of the original bike. Many of the early Curtiss planes on display are 100% accurate replicas as well. mainly because the originals don't exist anymore. I'm gonna try and get better pics uploaded this weekend.

My favorite part was that there were all kinds of antique engines hiding in every corner. That place is heaven for anyone who loves any kind of early machinery. From a wine crate labeling press, to Curtiss' machinists' drill press(It's huge!) to machine guns, Very early planes (He invented the aleron, and performed the first publicized flight for an audience) to potato diggers, WWII flight trainers, typwriters, outboard engines, sewing machines, seaplanes (He invented the first pontoon that would allow a takeoff from water, and launched the first plane from the deck of a ship) tools, time clocks, cars, campers (Curtiss invented the 5th wheel) and tons more.
Glenn Curtiss is one of my heros. He had guts to do many of the things he did.Personally performed Many avation firsts, and always developing new ideas. I think a big part of his genius was knowing who to surround himself with to do and learn the things he needed. And, very unlike the Wright brothers, who guarded thier inventions and patents like junkyard dogs guard a hambone, Curtiss was noted for allowing his patents to be employed by other companies and inventors for free because he believed that was the only way avation was going to advance.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Speaking of engines - at the New England Air Museum, we have the oldest (1910) running Wright Brothers aero engine. Cranked it up (carefully) on December 17, 2003 on the 100th anniversary of their first powered flight.

Note: the Wrights did *not* share their patents for free. There's a lot of interesting history about that.

View attachment 26079

OP
Banjo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Nutmeg, You are correct. Battles over patent rights is basically what drove Wilbur to an early grave. The Wrights hated Curtiss, among other avation pioneers, for his innovations (Very specifically there was a nasty battle over wether or not Curtiss' alerons were the same or different from the Wrights method of wing warping) Now don't get me wrong. The Wright brothers earned thier place in history. They were a brilliant pair, and very courageous to do what they did. I have great respect for them too.
I think it was pretty ironic that in the end the major company to emerge from all this was the famous "Curtiss-Wright".
Dale, If you go , let me know. I'd love to tag along. Here's hoping for a breakdown-free visit to the Glen this year.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What an amazing sounding museum I'd love to be able to make the trip sometime.