• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen Healey Rear end / Rear Axle wanted -Texas or surounding preferably

19pantherlima80

Freshman Member
Greetings all,

so i am looking for a Jensen Healey rearend for the 1980 Panther Lima i am restoring. From the research that i have gathered it looks like the Vauxhall Viva/magnum drivetrain were used on the Jensen Healeys which is also the same drivetrain the Panther Lima's are based off of. The rearend that originally came with Lima needs a total rebuild and by luck i happened to have sourced new gears but unfortunately the bearings for the carrier and pinion are not easy to find,throw into the mix them being metric,and from what i have heard are at an astronomical price per bearing if found, plus needed shims... the list goes on and on. So the next best thing is to use a Jensen rearend which are pretty much the same with the only modification would be to either shorten/lengthen the driveshaft and shorten/lenghten the upper control arms.

I am looking preferably for one here in Texas or surounding states if possible. So if any one has one or knows of someone with a parts car or willing to part out one please let me know.

Thanks Alfonso

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I'm sure someone will come along. Keep in mind that there were differences between the 4 speed rear and the 5 speed rear. Also, if you get one be careful with it because the pinion bearings are nla and the crushable spacer is too. I'll hit up the Jensen crowd and see if anyone's in the Houston area.

OP

19pantherlima80

Freshman Member
Hey Jody i have seen your website before and videos very good stuff my man and thanks for chiming in.

I have tried to post before on the Jensen Healey website and forum but when i try to register it says they are not taking new registrations and to email so and so person. When i do, i get nothing and this was a few months ago. Do you know of another way i can get in contact with them? or possibly join the forum?

Also i didnt know there were two different rearends for the jensen. i assumed they were only provided with one type from Vauxhall. From what i was told over at one of the Vauxhall forums, there are two types of rearends Vauxhall made. so i am assuming either the 4spd or 5spd Jensen has the same rearend like mine that requires no mods at all.
I have a video on my Youtube channel where i had found a Jensen rear in Georgia. I could see it was similar to the one on my Panther Lima but with slight differences. At the time we decided not to use the Jensen rear but looks like we have no other Choice now. Can you tell me if the Jensen rear in the videos is for a 4spd or 5spd? Does the one i have look like the 4spd or 5spd Jensen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FekqkY7aGlA

Your help is very much appreciated.
Alfonso

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
The two rear ends are visually indistinguishable from each other. The main difference is gearing. For some baffling reason they're set up so that they will run a 1:1 ratio in final drive. Either one should be fine. I'm not super knowledgeable about the Panther Lima, but the rear end from the JH was sourced from the Vauxhall Viva. There's also an IRS version from the Viva GT that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

If you were closer to AZ I'd give you the extra one I have sitting around.

Don't worry about the Jensen Healey web site. If you really want to talk to jensen folk, join the british steel mailing list. I passed your request on there earlier tonight. The info for the mailing list is here: https://www.british-steel.org/faq/jensen-cars.html. British Car Forum has a number of folk that own Jensens, so there's a goodly crowd here, they probably just haven't seen your post yet.

Jody

OP

19pantherlima80

Freshman Member
In case anyone is searching: This information will pertain to Jensen Healey & Panther Lima owners both based off of some of the Vauxhall Viva/ Magnum drivetrain components, in this case the rearend / rearaxle. This information was provided by a fellow member over at the Vauxhall Viva forum after looking at my Youtube video of me comparing the two rearends.

=================================================
To assist you have a
good look at your diff casting, if its a magnum axle the ratio will be
identified by a letter stamped on the pinion housing (hard to find but worth
spending time looking)

on the top for OHC engines, bottom for OHV
engine

A - 3.88:1
B - 4.125:1
D - 3.45:1
K - 3.727:1
None -
4.24:1
(some are not stamped and these are OHV axles )

Apart from
some slight differences in brakes and handbrake the axles are a straight swap
for each other, bar two items

1/. Prop length some axles have longer
pinions that others.

2/. The two inner trailing arms, on the OHC axles
these are shorter, due the higher position of the two rubber mounts on the diff
casting (its easy to shorten the longer ones but harder to lengthen shorter ones)

Easiest method I know is to look at the diff cover, the OHV ones are
dome shaped the OHC ones have a pressing to make room for the diff unit.

Looking at your video/images I can see the clean looking axle on the bench is
a OHC axle, and the rusty one is an OHV axle.

Sounds like using the Healy
one will work, other than the two issues mentioned above, but the performance
will fall right off due to ratio change, although its top speed and MPG will
improve. The 5-sp Jensen cars have a 3.45:1 ratio while the 4sp cars have a
3.73:1, the OHV engine vivas came with 4.24:1"

=========================================================

Answerman

Country flag
Well, I know it's not near Texas (I'm in Wisconsin) but I just picked up a parts car for my JH restoration (basically a rolling body, no engine, interior, or tranny) and the rear end is there. And of course I have no use for another, so if we can get past the distance issue maybe it'll be a possibility for you? I'm basically going to take every part off of it that I can and then send what's left to the scrapyard. No hurry, I probably won't get to that point till winter.

FOX771L

Freshman Member
Hi Answerman, greetings from Australia.

Are you still breaking the parts car? I am in need of a good rear lower suspension arm. I have one good one, but the other has suffered some corrosion. I can just salvage it with some weld repairs, but I don't trust it's integrity and I'd rather get a sound one if I can. Do you have one available? They seem very hard to obtain.

I also need the lower spring retainers, part no 91415. Again, corroded and metal is noticeably thinned.

FYI I have a 1974 Healey, 18024, see https://www.interceptor3.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=182.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Jim (Melbourne, Australia)