• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If I were shopping for an MG

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
I posed a ?? about bumper is another thread. But in general, if one were looking for an MGB what other features are desirable? Ex: Overdrive, or not? 4 Speed (is there a 5 speed?) Any other options or features that are considered preferred features?

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My preference would be a 1967 B with OD. I love the early dash and cranked shift lever of that model. But I'm not sure the OD trans had the cranked lever.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There was no 5 speed, but as Bill said, OD is a definite plus. Especially if you're planning on any long distance driving.

The early steel dash models have more character, and the '67 is generally considered, if not the best, one of the best years.

I have a '73 Tourer (convertible) with overdrive and love it. Also am building a '69 GT conversion to a GM 3.4 V6 with 5 speed, air conditioning, and steel dash. Not sure which one I'm going to like the most!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My preference would be a 1967 B with OD. I love the early dash and cranked shift lever of that model. But I'm not sure the OD trans had the cranked lever.
OD did not have the cranked lever from the factory, as far as I can remember this early in the morning. :smile:

Wingtip -- there are a couple of things that seem to be popular with MGB folks.

Overdrive
Metal dash (up to '67 for USA cars)
Chrome bumpers (up to early '74)

The later chrome bumper cars (late '67 - '74) had a stronger all-syncro gearbox compared to the earlier 3-syncro box. Many parts exchange from year to year so you will find that quite a few cars are a mix of parts. My '70 (UK home market RHD car, so it's a bit different than the USA cars) has an earlier style grille and an early style aluminum bonnet that were both swapped in at some point. Some early cars have had the later gear boxes added (requires a bit of hammering in the tunnel for clearance). Few USA market cars had overdrive as standard, but many now have had it added in.

The earliest MGBs had a 3-main engine, which changed to a somewhat more robust 5-main engine in '65.

Some argue that the late '67 MGB was the best in the USA as they were the only ones with the steel dash and 4-syncro gearbox. Others prefer the shift feel of the earlier transmission.

You'll also have a choice between wire wheels and steel wheels. Get a car with the one you want, as it's a bit complicated to switch from one to the other.

A good reference to pick up is the Original MGB by Anders Ditlev Clausager -- it lists all the various changes that happened through the years.

When I was searching for my car, I made my list of necessary features and held out for all of them (RHD, disc wheels, overdrive). They made a half million MGBs all told, so there are plenty out there. Were I looking for a LHD car, I'd pick a '65 - '67 car with disc wheels and an overdrive.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good stuff, Drew.

Also, be sure to post questions like these here. We'll confuse you no end! :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
I would get the one with the best original rust free body I could find. My least favorite is the 77 and newer. Too many extra wires. Early cars are nice, O/D is a good option. Test drive a couple and see what floats your boat. Any MGB done well will be a sweet ride. The entry fee for a rubber bumper car is also less $$.
Bob

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bob makes a very good point -- rust is the biggest undesirable feature! Almost everything else can be swapped car-to-car with varying degrees of complexity, but rust will be the big deal breaker.

Then you must be familiar with this place:
And yes, Mickey, I'm familiar with that place though only from a historical perspective -- came out before I was born after all. :smile:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And yes, Mickey, I'm familiar with that place though only from a historical perspective -- came out before I was born after all. :smile:

Keep it up, Bucko - just remember paybacks are... :jester:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm... just realizing (again) I'm a dinosaur.

GAH.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
I like em all, have em from 1967 through to 1980, MGB's and GT's.
Like the early ones best, ave 2 74's, one chrome bumper, one rubber bumper.
your choice

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd go for 1963-65 early 3 main engined car.

The engines run a bit more freely and rumours of any lack of durability are untrue. The first version of a model is often the purest and most interesting. Harder to find today, though.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We have, as said before, a 72 and a 55. That said, if I were to redo another, it would be on of these, a RB model! Engine upgraded with duel SUs, non smog etc, reworked suspension and painted as such. The RB models have beautiful lines, enhanced by painting the bumpers body color. And, you can pick them up for half or less of what an early model would go for. OD is a must! JMHO. PJ