• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A visit to Marlboro

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Though temperatures were in the 30's it was a nice day here in Southern Maryland so I erected the hood and side curtains on my Healey 100 and drove about 50 miles north from my home to the old Marlboro race track which has been closed for about 40 years.

For several years the entrance area has been used as a plant nursery. A couple of years ago I was nosing around the property and got chased out. Today, however, no one was present so I drove onto the oval portion of the track--the road course inside the oval is pretty overgrown--did a quick lap and left with no one the wiser.

There were several construction vehicles--graders, backhoes and the like--nearby the track entrance and it looks like part of the grandstands have recently been demolished. I don't know what is going on but I was happy to have done the lap and I'll bet the ghost track gods smiled on hearing the sound of a throaty exhaust.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Michael,
I grew up in Frederick MD, and I remember hearing about this place. Seems like there were signs for it on the way to Ocean City. If it's been shut down for 40 years, I guess I'm giving away my age. I had the impression it was not an oval course, but I'm stretching my memory here.

Keith

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Though temperatures were in the 30's it was a nice day here in Southern Maryland so I erected the hood and side curtains on my Healey 100 and drove about 50 miles north from my home to the old Marlboro race track which has been closed for about 40 years.

For several years the entrance area has been used as a plant nursery. A couple of years ago I was nosing around the property and got chased out. Today, however, no one was present so I drove onto the oval portion of the track--the road course inside the oval is pretty overgrown--did a quick lap and left with no one the wiser.

There were several construction vehicles--graders, backhoes and the like--nearby the track entrance and it looks like part of the grandstands have recently been demolished. I don't know what is going on but I was happy to have done the lap and I'll bet the ghost track gods smiled on hearing the sound of a throaty exhaust.

What...no picture of the old ghost. Way to leave us wanting more Michael.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hi Michael,

It is always sad to see a track like that close down, Oh well, At least you got the last lap in! I live about 15 minutes from the New Chicago Land speedway on route 66 and i also drive my Healey to the track, Not to race, but to chat with people in the marketing office. Funny, I always been tempted to ask them if i could make a few runs around the high banked turns on the nascar section of the raceway complex. mmmmm maybe if i could borrow one of your Elva's they may turn me loose! nascar pictures sept 16 2012 082.jpgMichael,IL.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Michael,
I had the impression it was not an oval course, but I'm stretching my memory here.

Keith

Keith--

Now that I have viewed a track map at the Wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marlborowiki.gif) I see that I drove around what is shown as the "Pit and Paddock area", though I do believe that oval racing did take place there as well.

If you visit google maps you can see a trace of the old road course in the woods but I doubt it would be amenable to anything more than bushwhacking.

Whatever, it was cool to be there.

SpacerM

Now that I have viewed a track map at the Wiki page ...I see that I drove around what is shown as the "Pit and Paddock area", though I do believe that oval racing did take place there as well.

If you visit google maps you can see a trace of the old road course in the woods but I doubt it would be amenable to anything more than bushwhacking.

The SCCA records say there was an oval at the track (https://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/MD/Marlboro.html)- its just that the hand-drawn maps showed it as part of the road course- its clearly visable in the old overhead shots. I never made it to the track, but I do remember a "Marlboro Maroon Metallic" '69 Vette my uncle drove- that color was named after the track, I think.

MMRSat.jpg

Last edited:

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith--

Now that I have viewed a track map at the Wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marlborowiki.gif) I see that I drove around what is shown as the "Pit and Paddock area", though I do believe that oval racing did take place there as well.

Whatever, it was cool to be there.

Michael -
The wikipedia article was fascinating. I had no idea the facility was so large and had several different courses. Looking at the satellite view on google maps was also interesting. The longer course out through the trees is barely visible, but the central oval is clear and obviously in bad shape. I found myself imagining you driving around it in your Healey. It must have been great!
Keith