• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spark Plugs for '67 3000....what kind?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I went to three different parts stores and no one has spark plugs for my 3000! Each one wanted to order plugs and all three wanted to order different plug numbers!

Engine: Stock, Pertronix, Bosch Blue Coil. Anyone have recommendations on plug brand with part number?
Thanks,

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH My goodness yes:
Go back in those shops and tell them folks you want "six " Bosh Platinum WR7DP Plugs . They go real nice with that Pertronix and hot Bosh Blue coil.---Keoke--:applause:

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
OH My goodness yes:
Go back in those shops and tell them folks you want "six " Bosh Platinum WR7DP Plugs . They go real nice with that Pertronix and hot Bosh Blue coil.---Keoke--:applause:
Not sure how "hot" this coil is but it's on it's way to me.
https://advanceddistributors.mybisi.com/product/bosch-blue-coil
I've heard that the Planinum our best for newer cars with fuel injection, etc. I talked to too many "sales counter" guys today who didn't even know what a Healey was.

Country flag
I've always had good luck with Champion, the N12's have been around for a long time. Used with a Pertronix is another issue, I have no experience there.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:wink-new:
Well I won't swear to it Patrick,

But the Sweeds building Volvos needed more fire in the hole to combat the lower winter temperatures, so Bosh came up with the blue bodied coil. It may have been colored blue because the Flag of Sweden contains blue in it too.. However, the bosh blue coil is comperable to the Lucas Sport coil we have today.I spent many hours in the junk yard getting them to put on our early Volvos Like the 544's, P1800's-----Keoke--:cool:

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
:wink-new:
Well I won't swear to it Patrick,

But the Sweeds building Volvos needed more fire in the hole to combat the lower winter temperatures, so Bosh came up with the blue bodied coil. It may have been colored blue because the Flag of Sweden contains blue in it too.. However, the bosh blue coil is comperable to the Lucas Sport coil we have today.I spent many hours in the junk yard getting them to put on our early Volvos Like the 544's, P1800's-----Keoke--:cool:
I wonder if Bosch has different coil models? I had a 544 with a dash pull chain that raised a rollup blind in from of the radiator to help engine temp. Neat car. Also a 142E with overdrive. That 4 cylinder pulled my BJ8 from Oxnard, Ca to Jacksonville, FL at 65mph, except for the California hills.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not sure how "hot" this coil is but it's on it's way to me.
https://advanceddistributors.mybisi.c...osch-blue-coil
I've heard that the Planinum our best for newer cars with fuel injection, etc.

I talked to too many "sales counter" guys today who didn't even know what a Healey was.
Don't think they know too much about sparking plugs either,:friendly_wink:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
wonder if Bosch has different coil models?

Yep those early cars had a sealed ignition system which used a metal conduit between the black coil and the ignition switch . The later cars had a red bodied coil that required a dropping resistor.

I had a 544 with a dash pull chain that raised a rollup blind in from of the radiator to help engine temp. Neat car.

Yeah you could not run the heater very well unless you could control engine temp with the at pull up blind

Country flag
Try Champion N12YC I run these in my 1967 BJ8

I've run Champion NY12Cs for about 100K miles in my BJ8 with stock coil, Pertronix Ignitor, Lucas cap, stranded copper wires and Lucas resistor terminals--never a problem (except when I tried carbon core wires). Off the plug, the terminals will throw a spark about three quarters of an inch.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I use NGK. Off the top of my head the heat range for a street Healey is PB6ES.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
talking about Volvos brings back memories of my first car - a tan 1963 122S. My present car is a much more refined 2009 S80.

Last edited:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've run Champion NY12Cs for about 100K miles in my BJ8 with stock coil, Pertronix Ignitor, Lucas cap, stranded copper wires and Lucas resistor terminals--never a problem (except when I tried carbon core wires). Off the plug, the terminals will throw a spark about three quarters of an inch.

Hello everyone. I'm doing a little research about Champion vs NKG, this thread popped up.

Hey Bob. Is your car Positive ground?

(Champion NY12C...Quick search didn't find that plug)

BJ8, Years ago I switched to negative, Champion RN12YC, Lucas Sports coil, Pertronix Ignitor, Pertronix carbon core wires, Lucas cap top load with wires that takes boots because the side load cap screws into carbon wires had problems making constantly good contact. If I remember correctly, maybe not, I had a problem with copper wires affecting the tach (which was changed to neg) until I switched to carbon wires. Tach then was accurate again.

Anyone change to neg, sports coil, Pertonix Ignitor, copper wires, Lucas side load cap, tach changed to neg and not have a problem with the tach?

I can't remember why I needed carbon wires.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
FWIW Pertronix now recommends carbon wires for all.

I ran a Pertronix I for years with metal wires with no problems. After switching to a later Jag D22 top loader distributor, am now running a Pertronix II which has always required carbon wires.

Country flag
Looks like I mis-typed (sorry); I've run RN12YC for all those years (haven't seen the non-resistor ones in quite a while). I use stranded copper secondary wires and a Pertronix with no issues, but IIRC I reduced the loop count on the inductive pickup. The resistor plugs probably cut RFI a bit, and help preserve the plug terminals (I think).

https://smile.amazon.com/Champion-R...encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

Yep, still positive ground. There's a (largely theoretical) reason positive ground is actually more efficient (some info here, if you want to dig into it):

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...the-tradeoffs-for-positive-vs-negative-ground

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Which search thingy did you use? Google eg imediately picks up the typo and finds N12YC.Danny

Member drambuie was first to reference NY12C and it seems it was just piggy backed as this tread went on.
So I Googled "NY12C". For me, Google doesn't immediately pick up the typo. It references a lot of NY12C things, but no references to N12YC spark plugs. Hence why I asked here.
Possible that you may have misspelled NY12C when you searched? (Maybe like me you'd say, I have been known to be wrong in the past...but only once)

I'm using an iMac running Safari, google is the search engine I use.
Australia vs USA; Windows OS vs Apple OS... may somehow affect Google? Who knows. Something you can Google mate, lol.