• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Craigslist - Spitfire trans for RB Midgets?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That trans will fit a 1500 Midget. My last trans (when I was running the 1500) was a single-rail Spit trans.

There are no Sprites that use that trans, since no Sprites had the 1500.

The seller says the trans will "Also fits 74-80 Austin Healey Sprite and MG midget". No A-H Sprites made during those years.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
He lists a LOT of stuff so he's not entirely correct about everything he writes but really just search the Portland OR area Craigslist for "541-680-0641" and you will see what I mean.
What are the good points about that trans?

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
You can put the Spit overdrive tranny in a 1500 Midget, Probably the best 5 speed alternative available for RB Midgets

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Is there a chance that one is it?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The O/D trans will fit a 1500 Midget, but only with a bit if tunnel bashing. I'm told it's a tight fit but not too hard to do.

The 1500 trans (often called the "Marina trans") is a decent unit in terms of shifting, and has syncro on all four gears.
But it's not as nice to shift as the older "ribcase" trans used in 1275 and 1098 cars. Even with a non-syncro first gear, the ribcase in nicer to use in my opinion.
The 1500 also has abysmal gear ratios (a gigantic jump from 3rd to 4th) and is not as sturdy as the ribcase.

Remember, the 1500 trans will not fit the 1275 or 1098 engine in the older A-Series cars. Completely different bell housing pattern. Also, the 1500 trans has a cast iron bell housing so it weighs a ton!

Finally, one trans that would be interesting to try to fit to a 1500 Midget would be the 5 speed TR7 trans. I'm told it has been done, but have never seen one.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
The ad doesn't say, but I'm guessing it's not an overdrive Spit trans...if it was, it would surely be a major selling point.

In fitting a Spitbox to a 1500 Midget, (I've done a bit of research here!) the non-overdrive tranny is substantially the same as the stock 1500 Midget trans, and it's a bolt-in replacement. The overdrive must be a J-type Laycock unit; any other style will NOT fit. (A J-type Laycock overdrive can't be bolted to a non-overdrive tranny, BTW; the output shafts are different lengths, and there are minor differences in the mating flanges.)

If you DO find a 1500 Spitbox with a J-type overdrive, it will take a bit of massaging to fit it in the tunnel. Since the overdrive fits smack in the path of the U-channel reinforcement under the tranny, the access hole underneath needs to be cut out towards the front, the center part of the U-channel removed, and the remaining U-channel needs to be reinforced with box section steel tubes driven inside them. Another box section tube is bolted underneath the missing length of U-channel, with trailing arms running rearward to make a new mounting point subframe for the tranny. A scissor-jack put crossways in the tunnel at the proper point will push the extra half-inch out to clear the overdrive. Then the overdrive trans just bolts right in, using the existing driveshaft.

All this is rendered largely academic, though, since the new higher diff ring gear from Moss apparently gives final ratios very close to the overdrive values; and the torque of the 1500 is enough to cope with the taller first gear. It's worlds easier to just put in a new ring gear than do all that cutting!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
but really just search the Portland OR area Craigslist for "541-680-0641" and you will see what I mean.
That's not in Portland (though nowadays you never know with transferred cell phones). The area code is down the valley... could be Eugene or Corvallis.