• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jaguar MkII's with 6cyl or V8 motors?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I often see some pretty decent looking 60's MkII's for sale in California, Texas, etc. except that they have American iron for motors. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to return a Jag of this vintage back to original by installing the stock motor. guess it would depend on how much cutting and modification was involved. What do Jag motors and trans from that era typically sell for?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Get and XJS they seem to be quite cheap on fleabay. I don't think that the v12 is any longer than the I6 and it would be a blast!

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The V12 is a lot wider tho, and that makes fitting it to one of the small sedans trickey The easiest way to go on a retrofit might be to buy a rusty but running series 3 XJ6. It is a 4.2 version of the XK engine, instead of the "correct" 2.4 thru 3.8 versions, but will bolt in. The S3 auto is miles better than the BWs that came in the MK2s also. Otherwise, you could contact Jagnut Jaguar Spares (My buddy Jack White), 1 540 743 4037 and he can no doubt supply a correct drivetrain, and manual trans options, etc.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
Of course there's the question of how much cutting and welding the conversion to the V8 took, considering many amateurs find that easier than actual design and engineering. If you want to buy one I'd say familiarize yourself with what an original engine compartment looks like so you know if what you're looking at has been cut up a lot, a little or not at all.