• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG sold to China [Anyone surprised Chinese own MG?

JBsZ06

Jedi Hopeful
MG sold to China

The MG marque has been unexpectedly sold off as part of MG Rover’s joint-venture deal with Chinese car maker SAIC, Autocar can reveal. The long-anticipated deal between the two companies had originally revolved around the Rover brand, outright purchase of the K-series engine family and Rover 25 and rights to produce the 75.

But Autocar has learnt that the MG brand has now been thrown into the deal. This means that a board dominated by SAIC will control the future of the famous marque. MG now accounts for a substantial chunk of MGR’s total sales in Europe, making it crucial to the survival of the European sales network.

More seriously, an agreement to build the vital new medium car at Longbridge is still not sealed. But SAIC is said to be very keen that the new Longbridge operation will be solidly profitable.

Well-placed insiders told Autocar that Phoenix Venture Holdings – the company that controls MGR – is being propped up by cash injections from SAIC as the core car-making business struggles to survive on a day-to-day basis. At the end of last year SAIC paid over around £65m for the ownership of the K-series engine and the Rover 25.

In the past few weeks SAIC has stumped up another £80m or so to buy the rights to build the Rover 75 and for ownership of the MG badge. It’s thought the Phoenix share of the joint venture is now around 25 per cent, with the other 75 per cent held by SAIC (and minority partner Nanjing Auto).

Production of the Rover 25 is due to end in the UK later this year, before the operation is moved to a new site north of Shanghai. The K-series engine manufacturing operation will be shipped out next year, building engines ranging from 1.1 litres to a new 2.0-litre unit as well as the 2.5 KV6. The revamped L-series diesel will continue to be made in the UK.

The 75 production line will be split, with China building a moderately stretched version of the 75, while Longbridge sticks with the standard and long-wheelbase 75s. 45s will also continue to be made in the UK until the car is phased out.

MGR’s factory site is also being redeveloped, with the West Works site that makes bodyshells for the 25 and 45 due to be closed in early 2006.

Phoenix Venture Holdings will be left with the ownership of the TF roadster, the SV supercar, MG Sport and Racing and the deal to import the CityRover from Indian maker Tata. It will also be responsible for the pension fund and redundancy cover for MGR’s workforce. Ironically, it will have to lease back the right to use the MG badge.

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: MG sold to China [Anyone surprised Chinese own

Better than letting the marque disappear again I suppose. But not much better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

V

vagt6

I don't know if we should be overly concerned. SAIC is making bold moves to establish itself in the marketplace. This is a good example.

Earning a profit is not limited by nationality. Maybe the Chinese can make it better?

We'll see . . .

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

While it would be nice to see the Marque around in the future, any MGs produced in China would not be an MG if there's any respect for the old Marque. However, I found this passage interesting:

[ QUOTE ]
Phoenix Venture Holdings will be left with the ownership of the TF roadster, the SV supercar, MG Sport and Racing and the deal to import the CityRover from Indian maker Tata. It will also be responsible for the pension fund and redundancy cover for MGR’s workforce. Ironically, it will have to lease back the right to use the MG badge.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, this means that the current MG TF, XPower SV, MG Sport (MG ZR?), and Racing remains in Pheonix Venture Holdings's control. But if they want to produce those cars under the MG marque then they'll have to lease the right to use the emblem on the cars? Bleh, interesting twist for sure. However, they could still well produce the cars with under the Rover marque. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the future roadsters and it's 'sporty' siblings. As long as they don't disappear from the face of the planet again.

R

Randi

Does this mean we are "RICE BURNERS"????? Hmmmmmmmm........ Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Iam not sure what to think....I've always hated Japanese/Chinese imports(rice Burners lol) but the current MG offering don't impress me either so maybe the chinese can improve it.....As far as I am concerned the last real MG's died with the last MGB.

Zack

MattP

Jedi Knight
Phoenix group bought MG so that it wouldn't go to BMW. So which is worse? Just have to wait and see.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

I can't say that I've ever disliked the Asian import cars. Well, not until every econo-box import became a "tuner" car with more vinyl (graphics, decals, etc.) on the outside than you could find inside a '70s disco. Still, I don't hold anything against those cars in general... unless there's way too many of them on the road for their own good (e.g. Honda Civic, can't go 2 feet without seeing one). In which case I still recognize it as a generally atractive car... but I'd never own one personally.

R6MGS

Yoda

I think I would have rather seen it go to BMW...even though I their cars are over rated, at least BMW is a well known reputable company.

Steve_S

Yoda

BMW did a bang-up job on the Mini. I would have been less unhappy if they bought it.

R6MGS

Yoda

Ya got that right Steve! Too bad the mini is so expensive for what it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Steve_S

Yoda

I find the new Minis reasonably priced for what they are. But I find them expensive for Minis.

MgKid1974

The reason why companys like BMW and Mercedes have such high prices in america is because there are alot of people here in the US that are very gullible and think just becuase their car has Mercedes or BMW its the best car in the world. They dont even bother to look a the sticker price on an ML350 and realize that you can get pretty much the same thing on a Ford Explorer minus seat warmers and an idiot navigation system for 10 grand cheaper. I appologize if anyone is offended, not all people who buy a mercedes are dumb, its just a good portion of them are so perplexed by being able to say "i drive a mercedes" that they are willing to put forth the extra dollar for it.

Please excuse my rant, i had to get that one out.

Steve_S

Yoda

I was never a fan of BMW until I drove one. I'm 100% sold now. I've owned two and both have been amazing cars in build quality, reliability and driving experience. I've owned three Fords and while I think they are well built, they were toys compared to the BMWs. Mercedes still do nothing for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

got my Spring issue of "British Motoring" today... they had a special section dealing with the selling of MG to Shanghai Automotive Industry Corperation... In it they have a time line labelled "The Road to Shanghai":

1905: First Rovers made at Longbridge by Herbert Austin.
1952: Austin merges with Morris to become British Motor Company (BMC).
1966: BMC merges with Jaguar to become British Motor Holdings (BMH).
1968: BMH joins Leyland Motor Corperation to become British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC).
1975: BLMC is nationalized and called British Leyland (BL).
1986: Renamed to Rover Group.
1988: Bought by British Aerospace.
1994: Bought by BMW.
2000: Pheonix buys Rover, becomes MG/Rover.
2002: Directors attacked for "excessive pay."
2004: Partnership talks with SAIC China.

they stopped at 2004... but discussed how the company and government apparently thought that they needed this merger, or risk losing 60,000 jobs...

I certianly don't know the full story, but a caption under pictures of the new MG TF read "The MG TF is the UK's best-selling sportscar. Don't look for it in America any time soon." Something is a scew if the MG TF is the UK's best selling sports car but the company still needs help to stay a float?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

I just re-read the article. The end makes it sound as though the vehicles will still be manufactured in the UK ... [ QUOTE ]
It will also be responsible for the pension fund and redundancy cover for MGR’s workforce.

[/ QUOTE ] Well most of them anyways. There's still the "CityRover" that they import from India which they'll continue to import.

This could well be along the lines of the "Big 3" US makers buying into any number of the Euro companies (take yer pick), if SAIC doesn't get too involved in the design of the cars under the MG marque that is. Granted, SAIC now owns the marque, but that could just turn in to them collecting royalties on each MG sold. However, like someone said earlier, only time will tell whether or not this turns out to be a good or bad thing.

Radford

Jedi Knight

The question is will there now be MG's like the Triumph Acclaim and the Sterling? Both were basically Honda motorcars. You can I am told still buy a good number of freshly manufacured "British" cars in India, not under the original marques.

Maybe the Chinese will be bright enough to to produce a B like MG - MGD?- to displace the Miata, S2000, or BMW's Z4.

R6MGS

Yoda

MGKid...I completely agree with that rant!
I had no idea that the MGTF sold so well? what I find weird is that they used the same name as an earlier MG, Now when ever you say "TF" you gotta be specific as to which one why couldn't they just go to a new letter??
Acually I think a B-like MG would do pretty well here in North America, cars like the Miata that pretty much picked up where the MGB left off have done very well.

rovernut

Jedi Trainee

Anyone who thinks the Chinese will not within the next decade be a major player in the automotive world is fooling themselves...........So getting Rover/Mg is wetting their feet in the world pond.........No longer British but then again what is.........C'est la vie