• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question for you Bugeye guys regarding trunk side panels

ShawnC_at_Moss

Jedi Hopeful
We are reviewing our offering of Bugeye interior trim and in laying things out and seeing what goes where it seems in our trunk liner set you get the floor in Hardura and two cardboard side panels. The side panels are raw. According to the Original Sprite-Midget book they should be Grey. Grey what? Vinyl or spray paint?

Then what is everyone really doing? Covering in vinyl that matches the trunk mat color or perhaps in the interior panel vinyl or really making the Grey like original.

Shawn

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Shawn,
I'm in the process of restoring my Bugeye and would like the original trunk liner set with the grey panels. I think the grey panels are 'coated' in grey vs painted and I would like something more durable than the original cardboard. I would also like original ribbed door inserts if possible.
Thanks, Rut

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Once Ray Evans gets on here you will know what it should be (from the factory)!
BillM

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They were a grained fiberboard that were gray (not vinyl). I ones I got from Heritage Trim were the correct board and grain except theye were black. I found a paint that was a close match to the original gray.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Hey Shawn:

OEM Style Ribbed Rubber Floor Covering.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hey Shawn:

https://www.spritespot.com/phpBB3/v...89&p=15661&hilit=rubber+floor+covering#p15661

That question has been looked into before. Apparently the tooling costs are prohibitive. I can't find the thread I'm thinking about, but if I recall correctly, the guy that did all the work on finding a manufacturer that could reproduce those mats calculated each set would cost about $700 if He placed a minimum order of some amount in the low 100's. sorry I can't remember all the details.

regards

Mark

D

Deleted member 9684

Personally, i'd like to see the rubber transmission tunnel cover reproduced. I have my original, but it is torn and in pretty bad shape. I will either use the carpet or attempt to use the fine rib rubber from floormatcompany.com. Don't get me wrong, the carpet is nice, but not original...

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I guess it was 50 mats ordered to make the price $750
https://www.spritespot.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42&p=16754&hilit=floor+mats#p16754

I'd like to have a set too, but I think I'd have to set my price limit at $250

Couple points:

1. This was about a DECADE ago.

2. It was an individual and not a company with the clout of Moss Motors.

Does anyone know the George Marinos referred to in that thread? Is he still around?

I just don't accept that eight years ago, somebody who knows somebody said on the internet that eleven years ago something was cost prohibitive as a good reason not to revisit this subject.

OP
ShawnC_at_Moss

ShawnC_at_Moss

Jedi Hopeful
Well said Steve. I have given the task to Kelvin Dodd in our tech services department who is in charge of reviewing our upholstery. The rubber mats we offer for spridget are similar to the original bugeye rubber floors, he tells me. He is going to contact that vendor, at some point, and see what it might cost. Now, how do we get an original pattern if and when we need it?? And you know, it will only be in black if it every happens.

Shawn

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Thanks Shawn. I try. I'm sure getting hold of a set will be easier for Moss than it has been for me.
As much as I want OEM style reproduction.... I'd be happy if you augmented the typical floor mat set with a SIMILAR rubber trans tunnel cover and a rubber cover to go over the jacking cross member at a fair price.

To help satisfy the bean counters:
Maybe you could put a little sound deadening material on the underside of the trans tunnel cover and market it as increased modern comfort through noise and heat reduction WITH "period styling"...:cool-new:

Just an idea.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
https://www.spritespot.com/phpBB3/v...89&p=15661&hilit=rubber+floor+covering#p15661

That question has been looked into before. Apparently the tooling costs are prohibitive. I can't find the thread I'm thinking about, but if I recall correctly, the guy that did all the work on finding a manufacturer that could reproduce those mats calculated each set would cost about $700 if He placed a minimum order of some amount in the low 100's. sorry I can't remember all the details.

regards

Mark

I was browsing around here
https://www.biltema.se/sv/
and found some nearly identical rubber triangle mat. I bought a large sheet, enough for my Bugeye and to do the doors on my Mini. I'm sure they still have it. I suppose I should get off my a** and look up the part number in my garage, if it's actually there.

tomshobby

Yoda
Shawn, nice to see you guys looking into this.

I have found Shawn and Kelvin to be treating product quality very seriously. From simple things like the non-threaded shoulder length for the bolts for the rear axle drive flange to more complex like recently working with Shawn on an extensive look at improving the brake light switch. I have found it worthwhile taking the time to work with these guys.

OopsClunkThud

Regarding the trunk side panels, I have an original set pulled out of mine. One of them is cracked and only really usable as a pattern. I'd be happy to send you a swatch to use for color/texture matching.