• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any knowledge of this fellow

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
He often advertises (and is out of Carlsbad, CA). Sometimes his ads indicate that the photo you see is only for reference... and often are only short-blocks (no carbs). I can't speak to the the quality, but I believe he's been selling re-built 1275s for a long time. I've actually seen the prices drift up from $1600 to $1850 (with inflation). Again, I don't think this includes any special head or carbs at all.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
those motors in the photos are all 1275s and yes one does have a crossflow. He will build non stock or stock, priced accordingly.

D

Deleted member 8987

Gotta add to the price, when you have your engines Dence Tested, right?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Now I know why I try really hard not to miss spell any words. You guys are brutal! :highly_amused: PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW, Hap is only 3 hours away in Greenville. I know you want a stock engine and I am sure Hap could build you one. No one has a better reputation and he is close if there is a problem. https://www.acmespeedshop.com/index.html

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
during the phone conversation I mentioned the bench test spelling. seems like a likable guy. and he does offer a warranty

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
He's the one from whom I bought the engine that's going into my '66. I haven't had it running yet, but he was recommended by Gerard.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
The green engine in the third photo is not an A plus as indicated, but a Morris Marina engine. It doesn't make it a worse engine just for that, but it has a block mounted oil filter and cast (not forged) crank and larger big end journals (2") than the forged crank. Some actually claim that they are a better race engine. The crank, unless it was replaced with a Sprite crank, has different bolt circle diameter for the flywheel and requires a specially machined flywheel to match up to the Sprite / Minor gearbox. The original from that motor matched up to a Spitfire gearbox. So maybe there's something to be said for using the Spitfire O/D gearbox in the Sprite.
The A plus has an externally ribbed block which is stronger, but used a different distributor mounting and therefore will not use the normal Lucas distributor.

Mine:
https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x288/frogeye61/1275/P1040391s.jpg

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
He's the one from whom I bought the engine that's going into my '66. I haven't had it running yet, but he was recommended by Gerard.

Gerard's recommendation is pretty good.
He seems to be a very exacting and quality oriented. I for one would consider his opinion highly, and feel secure that he would hesitate to recommend anyone suspect.

Hey Bill, long time no see, how's the back?