• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shameless or Chapman approved?

64Elan

So what do you think about removing a fine running Weber Twincam and replacing it with a new Ecoboost I4? Duratecs have been put in Elans and so have Alfa engines, etc. I personally think putting a new Ford DI I3 or I4 Ecoboost engine in an Elan would be something Chapman would approve of. My first choice would be the 1.0 I3 engine with more power and torque than the original and with gas mileage that would be incrediable. I also think the 1.6 and 2.0 would also work great. Ford will be supplying these engines in the near future with the ECU/harness/etc. and it shouldn't be too dificult to adapt it to the original 4 speed, or a T9, or a Caterham 6 speed.

So is this shamless or would Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman approve?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd say a whole new chassis/body would be his choice.

I'll keep the 1600 original in the Elan chassis.

OP
64Elan

64Elan

I'd say a whole new chassis/body would be his choice.

I'll keep the 1600 original in the Elan chassis.

Well, it already has a Spyder chassis and the block and head came from other cars, and the fenders are flaired, and, and, .... So I'm thinking the car will never be original so why not fast forward 50 years and do what Chapman would do in 2012. Believe me if the car were anywhere near original I'd leave it alone.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I hear what you're saying. I'd keep the engine original, though. It's a sweet engine, and Chapman always took the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy......

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, it already has a Spyder chassis and the block and head came from other cars, and the fenders are flaired, and, and, .... So I'm thinking the car will never be original so why not fast forward 50 years and do what Chapman would do in 2012. Believe me if the car were anywhere near original I'd leave it alone.

Ahhh. That's a horse of a different colour.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like the Toyota that they use in the Europas

OP
64Elan

64Elan

I hear what you're saying. I'd keep the engine original, though. It's a sweet engine, and Chapman always took the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy......

I here you. It isn't broken so I will leave it for now, but at some point it may happen. If Chapman were given the exact same body today without any restrictions for the body you can bet your life he would be looking hard at a direct injection small displacement engine. He may not go the turbo route, but given the power and torque available today in a stock engine with 1500 pounds max weight he would be drooling. Add a 5 or 6 speed, and a quaif diff all mounted to the Spyder chassis, maybe some 15 inch wheels and sticky tires, and OH BABY! The brakes could also be upgraded very easily and I think that would be one very nice package.

nomad

Yoda
I here you. It isn't broken so I will leave it for now, but at some point it may happen. If Chapman were given the exact same body today without any restrictions for the body you can bet your life he would be looking hard at a direct injection small displacement engine. He may not go the turbo route, but given the power and torque available today in a stock engine with 1500 pounds max weight he would be drooling. Add a 5 or 6 speed, and a quaif diff all mounted to the Spyder chassis, maybe some 15 inch wheels and sticky tires, and OH BABY! The brakes could also be upgraded very easily and I think that would be one very nice package.

Personally I like the idea! I've been agonizing over how to handle the redo of my S1 engine and power train. I like to drive old brit cars ridiculous miles and the idea of too low gearing and poor fuel economy is troubleing. No vac advance dissy and few options for trans kinda limits things.
Kurt
26/3754

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I like the Toyota that they use in the Europas

They used a Renault, Don. THEN went to the twin-cam FORD based one.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Let me clarify my statement.
He was talking about engine transplants and one of the most popular in the knee knocker car is the Toyota with the FI

nomad

Yoda
If I could make the t50 toy transmission work there would be a 4AGE Toyota power unit going into my Elan.

Kurt.

OP
64Elan

64Elan

The more I think about it, I'm keeping the TWINK for now. I've made a decision however to order up the 26R fenders this Winter and to start restoring my hardtops. I may sell one of them or may just paint them different colors and keep them both. One is a factory hardtop and the other is a Lenham. The reason for the 26R flares is my body. I have rust issues. A fiberglass car with rust? Yup, they have steel rods inserted under a few parts of the body and when moisture gets in they rust and distort the body work. Since I need to get in to repair them I might as well go with the 26R fenders which will require extensive body work anyway.

nomad

Yoda
Repairing the lattice work in my S1 is first on my list as well but since the engine is froze up and will need an expensive overhaul along with trans issues I may just save it for the next owner and put something in that won't compromise the car. Would be nice to experience what Colin Chapman designed though so I'm on the fence as well.

Kurt

Lotuswins

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Russ,

It's your car, do what you feel is best for you.

That being said, I've always went with keeping the car as original to the period it was manufactured, making minmal mods for reliability. My Europa has upgraded axles (the originals were off an imp, and didn't live long), new alternator, cams, headers, but that is about it. I like the original feel of the car as it was built by Chapman, and as Jay Leno says, we are just caretakers for these wonderful examples of Chapman's genius. Also, the twink is a great engine, simple and sounds wonderful.

Good luck on whatever you decide.