• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak

Morris

Yoda
My brakes are driving me nuts. They work well but make a lot of racket. I installed anti-squeak shims when I installed new pads and rotors a few thousand miles ago. The shims failed and I chunked them and applied a bunch of that silicony anti-squeak compound. That worked for a few drives, but now things are squeaking like insanity again.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to get the squeak out?

G

Scuff up your rotors and pads too. IIRC they should have clips on the ends of 'em too.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There is a slight relief in the lip of each caliper piston (almost 180 degrees) on the edge where the pad makes contact. Make sure your pistons are oriented correctly. This is a subtle detail many people miss and can cause or at least contribute to the problem. The relief should be positioned downward. Chamfering the leading edge of the pad will help too.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard, I learned something new today. Thanks.

BTW - "The Sitter" is coming to my garage in a few weeks. Just learned that on Saturday.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gerard, I learned something new today. Thanks.

BTW - "The Sitter" is coming to my garage in a few weeks. Just learned that on Saturday.

Hi Jim,

I guess that means you've worked out something regarding establishing ownership... Congrats, that's great!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well closer at least. Still not done yet but a Bill of Sale will be provided. I may need some help and be a little creative. We'll see.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Update:

I applied all of your suggestions and I am still squeaking. Gerard, when you say the relief should be positioned downward, do you mean relative to the caliper, or relative to the car.

I interpreted your instructions as when holding the caliper level off of the car, the piston relief is positioned downward so that the relief points into the center of the hub. Was that what you meant?

Any other suggestions? Should I replace my pads? (the ones I have are only a few years and 10,000 miles old).

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've heard recommendations for Hawk Green / Greenstuff pads? Anyone got recommendations on pads.

nomad

Yoda
Morris the cut away in the pistons should be positioned so that it faces the direction of the rotor turning towards it. Hope thats understandable. Pretty much the same as Gerard is saying. Very necessary to keep the brakes from binding and would help in their release so should help on squeek's. I have a set of greenstuff pads and they do stop better but also create more dust.

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As Kurt indicates. Did you bevel the edge of the pads too? How about scuffing/crosshatching the rotors and pads with some coarse sandpaper? If that makes it go away for a while, you'll narrow down your source. Any ruts or "ribs" on the rotor?

If you tried everything and nothing helps, it could just be a resonance in the pad or the rotor and can't be cured any other way than to change one or both. Neither are very expensive new.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Well I think I have finally fixed the problem and I thought I would post an update in case someone else comes up against this. I repeated all the suggestions listed above:
1) Rough pads and rotors
2) Bevel pad edges
3) Set pistons in correct position where cut away side is on the downside of the piston (toward the ground) when the caliper is installed. I misunderstood the directions previously and placed the cut away side to the inside.

In addition I disassembled and cleaned my calipers. And I reassembled using TRW Brake Grease (aka the miracle worker) on the pistons and seals. There were signs that the inside pistons where sticking and I figured that could be a contributing factor. I also applied a liberal amount of anti-squeal compound to the back of the pads.

Brakes now stop well and quietly.