• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Here's one for you. Driving lights

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
I bought my TR3A from a true Brit. It has Lucas driving lights that he described as period correct... one's a spot and the other's a flood.
Is this correct?

Attachments

• TR3 1.jpg
    TR3 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 41

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They do look like the ones back when, and I'm sure some folks bought one of each.

Nice addition to the front of the car!

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
The one with a clear lens is an SLR, long range lamp (driving light) The fluted lens is an SFT fog lamp. If they are Gen-U-ine Lucas lamps, there will be a date code on them someplace. Repros generally don't have one. Lenses may say "made in England". These are good repro, OR older genuine. Sometimes the lenses will say "Foreign Glass", these appear to be made in the 70s.They should be on separate switches.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WWell thar is the way the Brits did it

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
True, that IS the way the Brits did it...but they were on the other side of the road! Logic dictates that the fog lamp should be on the side of the car closer to the edge of the road and the driving lamp closer to the middle of the road -- if you have just the one of each. And that's what I plan to do...someday...when I get around to it...on my Herald, since I finally found the amber-lens 576 fog lamp I've been wanting for years (call me traditional)! :D:driving:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had a set on the first MGB, haven't yet found replacements for the current one. Pencil beam on driver's side, fog on passenger's. Very proper and period correct.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Housings are the same, just swap the glass envelopes.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
True, that IS the way the Brits did it...but they were on the other side of the road! Logic dictates that the fog lamp should be on the side of the car closer to the edge of the road and the driving lamp closer to the middle of the road -- if you have just the one of each. And that's what I plan to do...someday...when I get around to it...on my Herald, since I finally found the amber-lens 576 fog lamp I've been wanting for years (call me traditional)! :D:driving:

That makes sense. I've seen lot of British cars with one driving light and one fog light - never occurred that it make a difference which side they are one.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Housings are the same, just swap the glass envelopes.

I had Lucas driving/fog lights (576 series) on various cars in the sixties (recently sold my last NOS pair) and the lenses were easily changed. The bulbs were different - the fog light bulb had a shield over the top.

There was no one "correct" mix, at least in the US. Some guys used pairs of fogs, some one of each, etc. FWIW, I don't remember manufacturers mixing them. I used to swap lenses and bulbs depending on the season.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was making the assumption the bulbs would "travel" WITH the glass/metal envelopes.