• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OK,..time for the interior!

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya All!

Today is my 1 year anniversary as an MG owner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It's come to that time,..the bodywork is finally DONE!
Final buffing happens tomorrow. Yippeee!

OK,..so it's time to install the interior. Is there anything special I should know about installation.?

I have a carpet and panel kit from Proper Mg,..seems pretty straight-forward, but in my year as an LBC owner I've come to appreciate that things aren't always as they seem! LOL

They've sent chrome screws to install some of the panels with. Do I really want to use them, or can I use a contact adhesive or something of the like? (not for the doors,..I have the clips for them, I mean the footwell and rear panels)

I was getting a ton of heat from the footwells and tranny tunnel, so I got some good foil-backed insulation. Do I install that along with the sound-deadening kit,..or cut pieces for the footwell and tranny tunnel from the heat insulation, and leave out those parts of the sound deadener?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!
Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Jerry,
When I restored the interior on my 78 B I left out the factory insulation and instead covered the entire inside of the car with Fatmat (which is probebly simular to what you have- 1/4 inch rubber on one side with head reflecting foil on the other side) I put down 3 layers on the floors and trans tunnel and it is well worth the trouble, as the heat and noise are drastically reduced. I also used the VB interior catalog to help with the carpet ,seats and panel installation. This is the best part of the restoration as it is all comming together. I have attached a picture of the insulation before carpeting.

Attachments

• 106134-052704ins005.jpg
    106134-052704ins005.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 321

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Good advice from PS I would add, Use the screws around the door openings on the rear panals and the outer side footwells. that will prevent anything from pulling them out by accident. Also, make sure to do the "lift-a-dot" studs for the top around the rear panal and the cockpit edging BEFORE you put any of the rear interior in, as the interior covers access to many of those fasteners.
This is the fun part of your resto(at least it is for me), waching it start to look like a car again, enjoy!

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hi guys,

Paul, thanks,..I will go without the factory insulation, and go with a few layers of the heat insulation all over. It makes alot of sense!

Banjo, thanks for the tips about the panels, they'll be put to good use!

This is the fun part of the job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was a day off on the bodyshop,..they finished the painting today, and will buff and wax tomorrow.

I'm so excited that I'll show you a few pics of the finish paint! :

front.jpg

side.jpg

rear.jpg

I can't wait for the summer now!

Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice, Jerry! The boot and the bonnet gaps look very good. Looks like you're getting your money's worth.

Mickey

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
wow... fresh paint always looks sharp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EMGEBE

Jedi Hopeful
holly Doo Doo jerry...
that looks so sweet!

Mate, im running out of summer over here in aus! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Ok,.,,,sneaking a computer break at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mickey,..Thanks,..the bodywork has come out better than I'd even imagined! I'm psyched!

Nunyas,..Ya that was about as fresh as fresh paint can be,..still in the drying room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jarrod,..Thanks,..I'm REALLY happy with the way this is coming out,.better than I'd hoped. Sorry that your summer's ending, but that means that mine's about to begin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif lol

Rich, Thanks,..but you've got your project to share with your son,..that's priceless! Though my dad has come to visit mine with me,..it's just not the same. lol
Besides,..he thinks I'm crazy to have done this to begin with!

Guy, Thanks,..I'm doing Autumn Leaf for the interior,..I was going to do a custom top in the same color, but since deciding to stay with the black bumpers, I'll stay with the black top,..but I did have a boot cover done in autumn leaf,..so it'll all match when the tops down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All for now,..I'm back to the Kitchen,..serving 165 people dinner tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Jerry

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
That car looks better every time I see a picture Jerry. I'm terribly jealous!

[ QUOTE ]
All for now,..I'm back to the Kitchen,..serving 165 people dinner tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we make that 166? Dahubby's out of town fishing, I don't cook when he's gone and I'm getting tired of cereal.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I wish you would have too. I finished off the Fruity Pebbles tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Nope, sorry Jerry. This female hates chocolate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
whoa.... did I hear that right? I can see it now...

"Women who hate Chocolate, and the men who love them" on the next "Jerry Springer Show"!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Wow ... I can only dream at the moment. Nice looking paint. I'm envious.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, me too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I wish I had started off with the bodywork mine sorely needs before I did all I have done. Oh well, maybe after the boys finish college /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are doing it right, Jerry!

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya All,

Jaybird,..How can you hate chocolate?!?!?!,..lol,..Oh well,..all the more for ME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Nunyas,...lol @ the "Jerry Springer" comment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bruce,..Thank You!, I'm sure happy about the way things are turning out,..didn't think I was going to see it happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So,..speaking of happy,..here's a look at the car in the daylight, all buffed and polished. I took these just before we started putting on the outside chrome and lights:

outside1.jpg

ofront.jpg

ofrside2.jpg

More to come!

Jerry