• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

swallowing my pride and asking a basic question

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Blush .... At this very moment I can't remember which way the head gasket is suppose to be installed on a TR4. Brain fade, old age, tequila, blame it on what you want, but the full copper face side goes down against the liners and the folded side goes up and mates with the head itself? The gasket is from Moss but it isn't marked "top".

This engine was so screwed up by the previous mechanic that I can't trust the way he had the gasket positioned, and I would sure as heck rather show my self now rather than have to take this stuff back apart.

Jack

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's not clear that it matters. Very early gaskets only had the oil hole at one end, so could only be installed that way; but then they added a hole at the other end to allow it to be installed either way.

Personally, I put the folded side up, but I can't say it makes any difference at all.

OP
T

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Sometimes my mind gets to thinking so much that the more obvious things get clouded. Getting old sucks.

That was my thinking Randall. There looks to be a better seal against all of those separate components in the block with the one piece of the non-folded side.

Thanks, Jack