• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

everyone make it through the storm OK?

M

Member 10617

Surprisingly... we here in the Valley of Virginia were almost entirely unaffected (cold, some rain, a little wind). But west of here, in West Virginia, they received about 2 feet of snow (great for the ski resorts!). The sun is out today -- still cold -- and things are looking good for the rest of the week. Thank goodness because we were hit hard by the Derecho that hit here on 29 June.

Hope everyone else is OK.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lost power for about 2 hrs... cable iffy right now. Lost some tree limbs. No complaints here, it could have been a lot worse.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Lotta damage here in SW CT. I lost 3 big trees but none hit the house. Two out of the 3 roads to my house are impassable due to downed trees & we've been without power since 3 pm yesterday. My wife cooked dinner on a portable propane stove.We have no water either as our well pump runs on electricity. We were smart and filled both bathtubs with water plus got a lot of bottled water to drink. What a %$#@ mess. My TR6 was safe and sound in the garage along with our '97 Maxima but I moved my '02 Accord and a friend's Lexus I've been car-sitting for across the street to a large parking lot so as not to get hit by falling timber. One problem with the TR6 - the tach needle doesn't move until the car is well under way. Even then, I have to rap on the glass to get it to move off the peg. The cable seems fine and is lubed with graphite on both ends. Short of a rebuild, anyone have any suggestions?

PD

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad you are safe and sound after the storm!
Are you sure that the tach cable is seated all the way into the back of the tach?

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
In northern RI, everything that was going to come down, came down last year, so it was just a lot of small branches and leaves and thankfully no real damage. Southern RI got hit a lot harder on the coast and quite a few houses took serious damage.

boc

Freshman Member
Arrived in NYC on one of the last flights into JFK late sat eve. Sunday not so bad but entire city shut down. Monday was the real deal with lots of trees uprooted and on top of cars, street signs cracked off and the front of an appartment building sheared off. About 6 mil people without power including alot of lower manhattan. The subways are flooded and all airports closed. Much worse out on long island and south of here in new jersey. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones last nite.

cutlass29

Not quite so lucky in southern RI. My son's Oldsmobile is not his father's or any one elses anymore. :frown:

Hurricane Sandy

The TR's are OK.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Our power still out. Using our propane grill and a small Coleman stove to cook. Come to think of it, we're living as perhaps my ancestors did back in Lithuania or wherever. It was 54F in the house this morning and I slept with a wool hat on. At age 78 my body thermostat doesn't work so good any more. I'll try to run the TR6 this weekend. The roads are dry and the weather is great. Some roads still blocked by trees and wires. What a f%$#@ mess.

M

Member 10617

pdplot,

I traveled across Lithuania about 18 years ago. Vilnius is beautiful, and so are other cities, but I suspect that some of the houses we passed in the countryside are still cooking over wood or peat stoves.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'm in Seekonk, MA, just north of Pawtucket, RI, so we only lost power for about 48 hours and my generator kicked on withing 2 minutes of the outage, so I was fine. Two trees in my lot came down, but didn't hit anything, so that was lucky.

The southern end of RI, as Greenie stated is devastated and the shore line of CT isn't doing well either.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
After a dinner of pizza and salad at a friend's house, we came back home to find our power back on. Inly problem - a big rust stain in our guest bathtub duw to an enameled cooking pot I had to place over the drain which had a slow leak. I'll try vinegar & baking soda before going to more exotic stuff. BTW, my father's family was from (then) Vilna.

PD

M

Member 10617

Vilna/Vilnius -- has changed hands many times over history. But a beautiful city!

njmikec

Freshman Member
Central Jersey here - lots of trees down but no house damage. Power out for six days. It went back on Saturday night at 8:06 PM.

The Craftsman - Briggs/Strat 5.6 Kw generator saved the day. It ran all 6 days. The low oil sensor failed day one but we disconnected that and forged ahead. Changed oil twice just to be safe. Siphoned most the gas out of the Spitfire to keep the genset running.

Got the house water running day two. Good neighbor loaned me a 220 Volt plug.

We have it better than most who were in Sandy's path. Some folks are in pretty bad shape.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just got power back late this afternoon...8 days. 7,500W Generac I bought last year was best money I ever spent. Had ekectician hardwire and could run 80% of the house. Fortunately, we had no other damage. Others in my town not so lucky.

Bob

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I do not think we have heard from everyone that was affected due to some of areas that were totally wiped out.
Hope and prayers ...