• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What? I`ll have to change my avatar again!

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

Yes; I guess I will have to change my avatar again. That "BRG Limey Blood" just flows thru my veins.

I`ve recently sold my "Very Sweet" `73 Alfa Spider (Hi Dana).

I`ve got a holding deposit on a `68 TR250 right now. Also looking at a `67 TR4A.

The final decision will be made next wk. but I`m really leaning towards the TR250 cause of its Originality & Rarity. I simply like the TR4 Body coupled to the TR6 Drivetrain.

She`s "BRG Ext / Blk Int piped in White" with "Wires & OD".

Up-dates coming next wk.

See Y`All Later,

Regards, Russ

booley

Jedi Trainee
toysrrus said:
I simply like the TR4 Body coupled to the TR6 Drivetrain.

"BRG Ext / Blk Int piped in White" with "Wires & OD".

I agree with you, Russ. You get the best of both worlds with a TR250, and it sounds like it has all the right stuff.

GO FOR IT!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wow, you buy and sell 'em even faster than I do. I feel better now. :devilgrin:

Jokes aside, go with the TR250. One of my friends here has one, and it's a great mix of big motor and great styling. One of the very few cars that could tempt me away from my MGB.

Good luck, and let us know how it plays out.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Hmm? which car? which car? :winner1: Would have to say the TR250. Actually I have had both, I really like my TR250, but the 4A is a little less flashy without the extra stripes and badges and lights, and in stock form the 4 is as punchy as the 6, the carbs and wiring are marginally simpler, but then again the TR250 has that only one year of production "it" factor. Go with the one that floats your boat.

Love the alfa, I need to get me one of those (but don't want to trade in the 250 to do it).

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Go for the 250!!

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
glemon said:
and in stock form the 4 is as punchy as the 6, the carbs and wiring are marginally simpler, but then again the TR250 has that only one year of production "it" factor.

Do some folks find one more mechanically trusty than the other?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
KVH said:
glemon said:
and in stock form the 4 is as punchy as the 6, the carbs and wiring are marginally simpler, but then again the TR250 has that only one year of production "it" factor.

Do some folks find one more mechanically trusty than the other?

Hard to say, will go down the list of things that are different:

1. Engine: 4 cylinder crank has been known to break if overrevved, 6 cylinder thrust washers can wear out and if unattended damage block, I think the thrust washer issue may happen a little more frequently (no scientific evidence just from all I have read or heard) but then again, if you are aware of the thrust washer issue and keep an eye on it you can fix it before it gets bad, the crank will probably just go with no warning. Both are pretty reliable if you start out with a good one, I would call it a wash.

2. Carbs: The early carbs are simpler, easier to adjust, less to go wrong, doesn't have the complicated vacuum advance retard pumbing (of course you can always fit the early carbs to your TR250, like I did :smile:). I would give the advantage to the 4A here.

3. Electrics: The 4A has a generator (usually, think an alternator was an option) the 250 an alternator, the early alternator's have little if any advantage in output or reliability, pretty much a wash, the TR250 has slightly more complex wiring because it has the emergency flashers, and extra rear sidelights and some more dashlights too I think, none of these extra items will likely leave you stranded if they don't work on the 250, but they are more stuff to fiddle with if you are set on everything working "like it is supposed to".

So I'd guess I'd say slight advantage to the 4A on reliability, but how well either car was set up/restored will make more of a difference than the design difference in the cars.

Will add an advantage to the 4A in reliability/less to go wrong if it is a solid axle car. The solid axle would also make a bigger difference in the character of the two cars in my opinion than the motors, which are close to the same weight and horsepower, the six is a little smoother, but the 4 really isn't that rough if in good condition and tune.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
IRS cars are more usable over a long haul due to ride quality improvement in my personal experience, but others may disagree that opinion.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Russ, what are your thoughts on the Alfa, in comparison to same era British cars?
BTW, +1 on the 250!

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

Well; The purchase of the TR250 is`nt going to happen; Yet.

The sale of my Alfa did`nt go thru. I`m not going to dwell on this episode as the potential buyer of my Alfa is on this site & has read virtually most of my posts.

"Kevin": I have to say the "Size" of the Alfa would be comparable to a "MGB, TR6" etc. The "Alfa Spider" is a totally different (Very Pleasant) driving exp. Here`s some features in my opinion:

(1) The cockpit space is much larger than a comparable LBC:

(2) The driving position is much more comfortable. Your arms extend straight out to grasp the steering wheel & The gear shift lever could`nt be in a better position:

(3) The "2 Litre" engine has gobs of power. I could be in 3rd gear doing about 30-40mph & pull away with ease & "Quickly"! Lots of power!!

(4) The "5 speed" Trans. is real sweet vs an OD unit. I can cruise all day at 70-80mph in 5th & The Tach would read approx. 3000-3500rpm:

There really is`nt anything I can say thats negative about the "Early" Alfa Spider. At least, Not Mine. I don`t even have that "2nd gear" syncro problem that I read / hear about. Whats that all about anyway?

My Overall Opinion: "A POOR MANS FERRARI"!!

So; There you go.

Regards, Russ

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I'm with ya on the Alfa, Russ. I defected from LBC to Alfisti and now back to a TR3. Performance: you've got to go with the Alfa, but the fun level for me is in the early TRs... but still check the Alfa adds occasionally.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
billspit said:
I just saw pics of the Alfa. I can't see why you would sell that.

Howdy Billspit,

(1st) The "Quality" of my Alfa is "Exceptional" in all due respects; Mechanically & Cosmetically.

(2nd) I really did`nt have intentions of selling the car but I love the more classic look of a TR4 & especially a TR3 as you all know.

(3rd) I`ve been trying to get a gent in G`ville to sell his TR3A to me but Thats not going to happen as He has it willed to his daughter.

(4th) I know this gent who has the TR250, (Decent Driver), who was willing to part with her.

(5th) I would like to have both; The TR250 & Alfa but thats simply not going to happen. I can`t afford both nor do I have the space for "2 Toy Cars" right now.

So; Thats it in a nutshell.

Regards, Russ

PS: Anyone want to talk a trade for a TR3, TR4, TR250 or a "Series I Jag OTS"!! LOL on the E-Type!!

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well I'm still looking for a TR-2/3 and guess it will never happen. Prices have been out of my range for a good while. I wish Banjo's had been closer.