• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 electronic ignition.

Alfasudcrazy

I was trying to search for this on the forum but there seems to be something wrong with the menu bar at the top of the screen, Anyway I wanted to know if it was a easy job to fit electronic ignition to a TR6. Has anyone done it and does it make a big difference. My TR6 is a 1975 UK fuel injected version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Many have and I think it is fair to say it can make a difference.

I suppose the question is 'What is your objective?' i.e. reliability, ease of maintenence, performance, remedying a worn distributor, etc.

OP
Alfasudcrazy

Alfasudcrazy

My problem is that the points keep closing and its getting a bit tiring now. The electronic ignition solution was suggested on this forum as a remedy but I am just trying to guage its benefits versus cost. These cars are better left alone when they are running right as mine is (other than the points) so I am very careful about anything that could result in causing other consequential problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello ASC,

Aldon make a very neat electronic ignition for Lucas distributors, I think I'm right when I say all the components fit within the distributor.
How is you six running?, if you have any injection requirements, there is a good company near to me called Prestige Injection in Wrexham, North Wales, who can supply parts, throttle kits etc.
I run a Triumph 2000 saloon, with a modified injection engine myself. Still on points though.

Alec

piman

Darth Vader
Hello ASC,
your second post came in as I was writing mine. Points shouldn't close, I rarely touch mine from service to service. I check the dwell and find little variation. Is the distributor spindle sloppy? and more to the point do you put a little smear of gease on the cam?

Alec

OP
Alfasudcrazy

Alfasudcrazy

My TR6 has never been better - smooth sexy growl out of it ever since I had it down at Enguinity in London for a few weeks in Nov 2001. They put in a completely reconditioned (new where possible) fuel injection system and did a lot of other work as well and it has been singing since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
That place in Wales is interesting to me because I am looking for a convenient place to have my TR6 serviced. I have learned the hard way that it is very unwise to entrust your TR6 to anyone who is not fully conversant with the lucas fuel injection system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Do they do routine servicing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif - if so they could do the electronic ignition job as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello AFC,
all he does is Injection, I'm sure he would service it for you as far as the Lucas side, I don't think he would do the full routine service or fit electronic ignition for you.
He has a website :- https://www.prestigeinjection.fsnet.co.uk/
I would look at your distributor first, I am yet to be convinced that there is a noticeable benefit of electronic ignition over a well maintained points set up. Points rarely let you down with a bump as electronic can and the minimal maintenance I need to do with the points does not encourage me to go electronic. I often wonder if the reason people sing the praises of electronic ignition is that they changed from a mal-functioning points set up to the electronic; of course it will seem to run much better.

Alec

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Okay, when I said "it can make a difference" I didn't necessarily mean an improvement.

If you want reliability w/o surprises then as Alec notes -- points are hard to beat. They are rugged and can be examined, adjusted and replaced for a couple of pounds vs many electronic units which can be delicate and either work or don't and defy diagnosis.

If the points are closing but not showing excessive pitting or other damage then it would sem that either the screw is not tight or the lack of lube on the cam is wearing down the bit that rides against it. The latter condition can be aggravated if the piece on the points is not sitting squarely against the cam. I use a dab of assembly lube on that cam though there are products made specifically for that spot.

OP
Alfasudcrazy

Alfasudcrazy

Thanks folks - ye are a world of knowledge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I am not very good with mechanics despite having cars stuck in every corner. I will try the tightness aspect again - it could be that. Also there was no lube whatsovever on the cam so that could have been it as well.
Alec - in regards to the guy in Wales I was just referring to Lucas fuel injection service and thanks again for that info. I do the routine stuff myself.
But my main question has been answered - its basically best to stay with the points set up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

G

Steve, I think that the consensus once and for all on this forum is: points - good, electronic - bad

Bill

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I could'nt disagree more. A high energy ingition will let you open up the plug gaps and improve performance. I have a Crane XR-3000, Lucas Sports coil without ballast, and set the plug gap at 0.045". The noticable difference is more power at lower rpms, which I felt immediately, and no missing at high revs. That setup has been reliable for me for years.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Whatever system you decide to go for make sure it is 'roadside'friendly. Many elec. systems can be used with points (msd6) and are easily bypassed if the prob occurs in the 'box' (never has in 5 years). There is a performance upgrade at all points of the rpm scale w/elec systems but everything has a drawback or two.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I had made up my mind to stay with the points system. But the guys in the local TR Club have persuaded me to try the Pertronix ignition. I installed the Pertronix last year when I parked the car for the winter. So I don't know if I'm gonna like em or not since I've yet to drive the car since last October.

G

Tom, I really have no problem with someone using electronic igniton. It is just that when they decide to shut down, they often will do it instaneously, at the most inopportune time, like at night, in the middle of nowhere, raining, cold.... Really, they can often work very, very well. It is just that I have had horrible luck with them, and so have others. But, then many, many people swear by them.
Points can be tuned to your particular setup with gap, are cheap, rarely wear out and spares can be placed in 10 minutes. Life is full of choices. Keep us up with your new setup. I am sure that you will like it.

Bill

txtr3

Country flag
Forgive the novice question, but here goes. I understand in general how a higher voltage (from sports coil or electronic systems) can improve spark and ignition.

But, why is a wider plug gap better? And if I install, for instance, a Lucas Sports coil, what should the gap be set to? And should the points gap be widened, too?

Thanks!
-Jiri /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello SK,
I don't suffer any noticeable missing at high revs, so if you did then there was some sort of fault (not necessarily ignition)
I accept that there will be an improvement, particularly on very high performance engines with high cylinder pressures, but I am not convinced that I would notice it sitting in my car and prefer the security of probably being able to get my points fixed if they fail.

Alec

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...if I install, for instance, a Lucas Sports coil, what should the gap be set to? And should the points gap be widened, too?

[/ QUOTE ]

First let me say I have never understood why the TR3 spec is a point gap of .032 and the TR4 spec is .025?

In any case, I use a Lucas Sport Coil in both with a .035 gap. No change to points gap as that is a matter of timing and dwell, not intensity of spark.

I suspect that points are no more troublesome than electronics and both can be reliable. The difference is a bit of fiddling along the roadside vs a trip home on the flatbed. The electronic units that work with points may have the best of both worlds.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
For now I put the old points plate in the trunk,...just incase. But if the Pertronix works well, I might order a spare Pertronix set to carry as a spare.
I do like the idea of not having to service the points and condenser,...but I'm definetly gonna carry a spare if I stay with the Pertronix.

alansimon

Guys,

I hate to ruin the consensus, but I installed a Pertonix electronic ignition and could not be happier. The trigger unit fits completely within the distributer cap.

The only problem I had was, after changing the coil with an aftermarket one, I stated burning up ignition rotors. I seem to have fixed this with a ballast resistor. Anyone out there with a recommended resistor size (in ohms)?

Al

alansimon

Guys,

I hate to ruin the consensus, but I installed a Pertonix electronic ignition and could not be happier. The trigger unit fits completely within the distributer cap.

The only problem I had was, after changing the coil with an aftermarket one, I stated burning up ignition rotors. I seem to have fixed this with a ballast resistor. Anyone out there with a recommended resistor size (in ohms)?

Al