• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jimi who?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live at Montreux!
0BzF_5I&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Couldn't turn the volume up high enough. After James Marshall, Stevie is the man.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, Stevie is great but he is no Jimi Hendrix.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
waltesefalcon said:

Agree.

Basil,
Have you ever seen SRV at the El Mocambo? Worth finding on DVD...

CjYIvrM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
waltesefalcon said:

I disagree. Hendrix is great, but SRV is more greater! SRV is 10 times the technical genius that Hendrix was (and don't get me wrong, I love Hendrix's guitar playing). BTW, I saw Hendrix live in Denver in Jun 69 (I think it was one of his last tours before he died). This is the only video I can find of the event and the sound quality is poor, but it sounded unbelievable in person! I'll never forget his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. It was also my first experience being around people who for some reason seemed to take great pleasure in smoking what smelled like horse dung rolled in ZigZag papers :crazyeyes:

I also remember the police using tear gas to keep a bunch of miscreants from jumping the fence to get in without tickets - and of course the tear gas drifted up into the stands were I was! Oh what fun!

lDlWdQ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
waltesefalcon said:
Sorry again, but even before I knew about SRV I thought Jimmy was way overblown!"Mary had a little lamb"

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
My son (almost 21, music major and overall music "genius") and I have had discussions along these lines many times. Long ago, we both came to the same conclusion: Why must there be a competition? Is SRV really better than Jimi...or Eric...or Jeff...or Django... or Les...or Danny Cedrone...or Julian Bream...or [insert name of any of thousands of other "great" guitarists here]?

Think about it. Music is a very subjective pleasure, not a timed or judged competition! Just sayin' ... :whistle:

G

Basil said:
waltesefalcon said:

I disagree. Hendrix is great, but SRV is more greater! SRV is 10 times the technical genius that Hendrix was

Yes and no. Stevie built off of where Jimi had already gone. Jimi showed the world the sounds that could come from a strat, Stevie showed the world the sounds that should come from a strat. (or vise versa depending how you look at it.)

Two different genres too. Jimi represents what happened when the wooden shack, front porch blues finally got power.

(speaking in more ways than one) :wink:

In a way, it was the end of a blues era.

The question isn't who's "better"; it's would Stevie had played the same way without there ever being a Jimi?

Stevie (like Elvis) built off of where other blues musicians have already been. Both Stevie and Elvis are more rock than blues but have elements of each. Jimi is more blues influnced by the popular culture that was happening around him.

Stevie is the second generation (if you will). The next will always "be better" because it stood on the shoulders of those who came before them. If it wasn't for that, they couldn't have reached as high.

You can't compare one to the other. Art is subjective and there is nothing you can do about that. Bottom line, they are both artists expressing things the way it comes out of them. They can't change that. They can try to mimick another artist, but they can't change who they are artisticlly speaking.

It's the difference between first and second gear, you can't have one without the other.Jimi poured the slab, Stevie framed the house. While one is might be more techical than the other, one isn't more important than the other.

I find Stevie gets rather stale after a while. (All blues actually) I like him (and the blues), but it's like riding around in a circle in second gear at redline. Yeah, lots of stuff is happen, but we aren't going anywhere. "That lick ~<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">again</span></span>~?!" :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly, that's just the blues and nothing can be done about it. Perhaps this is why blues didn't grow any larger in popular culture.

This is why "soul" in music is so important (especially in blues)...IMHO of course. If there is no feeling behind it, it's just repetitious (sic?) noise, no matter how technical.

That being said, the only lick I know b/w the two ~I~ can do is...I know how to set a guitar on fire. :laugh:

I do like them both, but can only handle so much of it at a time.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
[/quote] I disagree. Hendrix is great, but SRV is more greater! SRV is 10 times the technical genius that Hendrix...[/quote]

Bait laid. Bait taken. :bow:

G

I disagree. Hendrix is great, but SRV is more greater! SRV is 10 times the technical genius that Hendrix...[/quote]

Bait laid. Bait taken. :bow:

[/quote]

:lol: Mebbe he found the cure for low forum activity.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Jeff Beck?

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes... But can they play the fiddle?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If we are going to start talking about blues guitar I say we should look at B.B. King.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
THIS Tal, Billy:

3Zpqmmc&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Run up to about 6:15 for the "short version" of her working. :laugh:

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
:lol: Mebbe he found the cure for low forum activity. [/quote]
If we could somehow harness this energy.....and channel it into the MG side?