• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1960 Triumph Estate Wagon

planenut

Freshman Member
I have just rescued a Triumph Estate Wagon, which is a Standard 10. It has some front end damage, and the engine and trans are missing. I understand the engine/trans won't be too much of a problem. However, I'm trying to decide what's best for the car. It only has 34K miles on it, and the interior isn't in too bad a shape. I don't think the damage will be too hard to repair, either. The big question is parts. Most people don't even know what this car is. My search shows parts to be non existant. Anyone have any ideas what to do with this car?

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
It depends on what you want to do. If you want a nice Triumph Estate wagon go buy the nicest one you can and use this one for parts. Or sell this one for parts. The reason you can't find parts is that nobody wants to restore them or keep them on the road. Why torture yourself? For lack of one small hard to find part , you won't be able to use the car. What fun would that be? The most Triumph for the money right now is the TR4 , which is a great car and easy to find parts for. That's what make these cars fun to own. I know of a nice Herald conv. that has been sitting for 40 yrs. ( still waiting for spares to show up from the old country). Cheers mate ! Kevin

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Try to "preserve" the car as much as you can; fix what needs fixing, clean and polish the rest as best you can, and then enjoy it! Yes, there are folks who have restored these cars, primarily because they love them, since it costs as much to restore these as any other car but the market value isn't there when you done as it might be with a TR or even Spitfire/GT6! Parts are not as bad as you might think, as there's a good bit of commonality with other Triumphs. There is also a great resource with the Standard Motor Club in the UK.

Oh, and hopefully you can satisfactorily repair any damage to the front fenders, as replacements are almost impossible to find anywhere in the world! :frown:

I personally would like to hear and see more about the car and also list it in my Database (link below in my .sig file). Please look around the Triumph 10 section of my site, and take a look at A Pack of Tens as well for some possible motivation!

NOTE to Kevin: I'd like to hear more about that Herald, too! :wink:

Country flag
There's an Estate Wagon here at my place. It was my father's. Its been since passed on to my younger brother. Dad drove it to work for almost 20 years. Dad did modify it. Still has all Triumph parts in it. It now has a Spitfire 1500 engine and trans. 1500 disk brakes with wire wheels. A TR4A solid axle rear with wire wheels as well. There was an overdrive unit in it but that was removed years ago. Don't know if my brother will ever do anything with it buts its stored in the dry for now.

Marv

philman

Jedi Knight
i have an old estate wagon. the front end parts look like spitfire parts. my plan is to pick up a rusted out triumph and replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes. I haven't had any trouble getting brake parts and such.

philman

Jedi Knight
I also found a shop manual for a Standard 10 on the UK ebay site relatively reasonably priced.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
This sedan has been on the local CL for well over a year with an optimistic price tag (at least he dropped it 1000)

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
philman said:
i have an old estate wagon. the front end parts look like spitfire parts. my plan is to pick up a rusted out triumph and replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes. I haven't had any trouble getting brake parts and such.
The parts are similar, and the Spitfire parts should be adaptable to the 10 front end. The ideal would be to find early Spitfire bolt-on caliper brackets rather than using the later Spitfire upright with its integral brackets; I have heard from a number of sources that the tie rod piece that goes with the later Spitfire upright can foul the road spring on the 10.

If you're upgrading a 10 to a Spitfire engine, the front discs might be worthwhile; otherwise, the only good reason to do so is because it's getting <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> difficult to find the front brake shoes (at least in the later 8" x 1.25" size).

OP
P

planenut

Freshman Member
Well, I've been so busy the last few weeks, and haven't taken time to devote to the "10". I did go to the VTR, but I'm not ready to join, so I can't register the VIN of the car. It's still in the back of my mind, though. Too many projects ahead of it. I would like to find it a good home, though.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
If you have that and any other numbers, I'd still like them (and at least the car's current state of residence -- I assume GA) for my Database. Any surviving 10 is worth (my) knowing about! I could even mention that it's for sale if that's what you're planning to do.

OP
P

planenut

Freshman Member
Thanks for the interest. It is a Triumph 10HP, S/N TBE57133LSC. The data plate is from the Standard Motot Company. By the shape of the fenders, it's a 1960, or up. I don't think I've really found firm confirmation what year it is.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I don't know anyone (yet, and this is NOT a hint) who has obtained a build record on the later 10 wagons such as yours. Generally, though, that high a commission number and the "hooded headlamp" front fenders are indicative of the 1960 model year for the US. Meanwhile, thanks for the number; ANOTHER one to add to my Database of 10s! :laugh:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
planenut said:
Was the 1960 the last year for the USA?
Yes, it was, although a: I suspect that many/most of those "1960" models were more or less "leftovers" and b: I'm pretty sure they were still being price-listed by Standard-Triumph USA in early 1961.

FWIW, short of obtaining a BMIHT build certificate, you might be able to get a fair idea of when the car was actually built by looking closely at the various Lucas components. There's a good chance that the starter and generator might NOT be originals, but there's an equally good chance that the voltage regulator or some other switch might be original. I suspect you'll find a "x 59" date code somewhere (x representing a month). I haven't looked in a very long time, but I'm pretty sure I remember that my "1960" wagon (TBE56563LSC) has several original 1959-dated Lucas bits.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
We had 5 of them show up at the VTR Nationals - all from the same family. Great cars:
IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There's an Estate Wagon here at my place. It was my father's. Its been since passed on to my younger brother. Dad drove it to work for almost 20 years. Dad did modify it. Still has all Triumph parts in it. It now has a Spitfire 1500 engine and trans. 1500 disk brakes with wire wheels. A TR4A solid axle rear with wire wheels as well. There was an overdrive unit in it but that was removed years ago. Don't know if my brother will ever do anything with it buts its stored in the dry for now.

Marv

So Marv,
Are you planning on selling this? If so, speak up!

In any case, Dave Pilcher in RRTC has a couple of Standard 10 Estates, had one at VTR Breckenridge 2011 that was quite cool. I recall he as a few of them.

Cheers!