• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Tr6 Steering Wheel

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
I have recently started getting into resotoring a 1976 Tr6, car is complete and free of rust! Taking down small projects on the car one at a time, a nice driver to begin with will turn out to look even nicer when finished. Started on the interior, already ordered a burled carp. elm dash, and now i am looking for any opinions/photos of other tr6's here in the forum. My first question is what is the cheapest option for a nice steering wheel? I spend a few hours of work threading a universal leather cover on the wheel, but it is still tired over all. Strange how they deteriate, mine poped like a balloon it looks like, it was oozing out what i suspect was glue at the top. Anyway, i have been recently looking for a wheel, and could only seem to find very very expensive wheels. Are there any originals out there that would still be in good shape, of course i am watching ebay, but none on their in good shape. Please give me your opinion of what you have done on your car, and what is the cheapest option. Are there any wheels that i do not have to buy a $70 adaptor hub for??? And if so will they fit straight on the old set up for the orignal wheel. I think a nice wood wheel would go good with the brand new dash, and if i have to spend $200 i am prepared to, but i really want to get some other opinions on the matter. Seems most wheels are in the 30-500 range! I did find a wheel on ebay in the uk for cheap money, but with shipping to US but it will be just as expensive with shipping! Any old steering wheels laying around the garage or basement i am a BUYER! Also selling my old/brand new roll bar on ebay if anyone is interested Cheap cheap cheap. Could use all the help you can give, and would like to see what you have done to your car. Thanks

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I went with the Moto Lita wood wheel but you are right, they can be an expensive option.

P1010642.jpg

I think one of the best things to do is be patient and keep an eye out on ebay and something will come along that is more affordable. I find Mountney wheels pretty affordable. I recently bought a leather wrapped used one on ebay for $35 for my TR250. Even with the Boss, it was still well under $100.

Cheers,
Tush

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A good original wheel for your 1976 is going to cost more than a new wood wheel. A near prefect wheel for the 6 will cost between $700.00- $1000.00 if you can find one. There are some used aftermarket wheels that are very close to the originals so beware when you try to purchase an original. The wood wheels do look very nice.

OP
B

britishcarkid

Freshman Member
Tush that really looks nice, i was thinking for a while about getting a mota-lita and a while back i passed up one used with hub almost new condition for 140! HOW STUPID. Looks like you have a rot free car! I was going to get the "warning lamps" that say fasten seat belt erg brakes etc., not realizing those are over $20 a piece! I was also looking in Mountney but was not sure what the 15" wood wheels looked like, hoping if anyone has pictures they can post. PS possibly looking for overdrive unit, let me know.