• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Which Fuel Pump is this?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Everyone, From pictures I have seen, I am thinking that this is a BJ8 pump. (my car is a BJ7) But it was plumbed in with what I believe was an original fuel line, which can be seen alittle in the pic. The fuel line was damaged and stuck together with hose. Another question, if I wanted to make my own fuel lines, what fittings are available that will fit the threaded banjos. Dave.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Dave, Moss makes a "banjo style hose kit" for that pump that uses neoprene lines so you can connect it to the steel lines. Part no. 376-108 MGB uses the same pump also.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Brinkerhof, Since I have the ends of the original metal gas tubing, I could cut the ends from the tubing and leave a few inches sticking out, then make connections to new tubing with hose. But I would like to do the whole thing in metal gas line tubing. I believe Moss list the new line for approx. $124.00, I believe I should be able to make a new line for alot less than that. But I don't know yet how to make the end fittings. (my banjo fittings will stay on the pump).
Somewhere I think I read, maybe in searches, that the connection can be made with a compression sleeve (olive) on the very end of the tubing and its companion nut, which then will seat into the tube connection of the banjo. But I can't find that. Is anyone familiar with this method?
Thanks, Dave.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Dave , on the banjo fittings that you have weren't steel lines soldered on? I have a roll of 5/16" steel tubing that I made my fuel lines from and soldered them on.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Brinkerhoff, no my lines were not soldered to the banjos. Look at my pic and you will see that I have the end of the gas line tubing shown. It has an end which is like a large bell flare with its companion nut behind it which thread unto the ends of the banjos. It's that bell flare that I don't know how to dupicate. But it may be soldered to the line. Actually it looks like it might be brazed on. If it is soldered, I may be able to get it off the old line and put it on new tubing. If it is brazed, I fear that I will destroy the fitting trying to get it off. Will solder hold, or I didn't think soldering was a reliable way to secure gas line pieces. Pardon me for being critical, that's not my intent, I don't know anything about this part of the business.
Thanks again, Dave.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
There is a flair fitting tool to make those flairs. One can obtain a tool with a set of dies (for different size tubing) relatively inexpensively. I've had mine for years; I probably got it from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks John, But that is not a flare of the tubing end. Take a close look at my pic, what you see is a separate fitting, probably made of brass and it is sweated, either solder or brase to the end of the tubing. I'm thinking I should be able to buy a new fitting and solder it to the tubing. Having said that; i did do some searches and in Moss's MGB cataloge, under fuel lines i found in the section for the early B, it appears to be a fitting using a compression sleeve to join the tubing to a threaded end of a banjo fitting. But still I hope to find a brass fitting that is soldered to the tubing. Im pretty sure that is the way it was done originally. Thanks, Dave.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Dave , all of the fitting were soldered on the steel lines I'm pretty sure. You're right if you think both the lines were in one piece : from the tank to the pump, and pump to carb.