• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Are there any sure-fire tricks for......

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
....polishing those pesky plastic headlight covers on today's cars? My wife's Accord lenses look like milk! I recently replaced the headlights on my Tacoma (under warrantee) to the tune of $900.00! So buying new headlights is not an option.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There are a few products out there now that do clean the lenses very well. Ask at any auto parts store. Maguir's is the best (hope I spelled it right)

Dave :savewave:

P.S. usually requires use of a buffer

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Plastic polish on a buffer.

It'll help but if the lenses are yellow or milky all the way through it'll only help so much.

For modern cars I either go to fleabay or to www.car-part.com. The latter site is the one that all the repair shops use when they do insurance repair work.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dave's idea works great
After you do your wife's car Bill. You can clean our 2 Hondas

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I figured plastic polish was the way to go. I will use my dental rag wheel buffer with "Sure Shine", denture acrylic polish, to do the job. I hope. Will keep y'all posted.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
I figured plastic polish was the way to go. I will use my dental rag wheel buffer with "Sure Shine", denture acrylic polish, to do the job. I hope. Will keep y'all posted.

It won't last long Bill... every time I go get my teeth cleaned, I need to go back in 6 months.... better use the stuff at the auto store :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you can buy kits that include a buffer that fits in a drill - cost about $20 usually

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I just replaced the headlights in the wife's 98 Grand Prix for the same reason. got both left and right from Rock auto for under a $100 shipped.Manufactured by TYC and fit as oem.Polishing 'em didn't do much for any length of time.
Also did my 02 Mustang. They where a little more money,also manufactured by TYC and fit as oem.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Fitted many of the aftermarket units to various cars, usually MUCH less money than the OEM ones.

I really dislike the plastic things. UV degrades 'em and makes for a real revenue generator for the parts departments. Stoopid design.
Some "engineer" needs a counseling session. :madder:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Fitted many of the aftermarket units to various cars, usually MUCH less money than the OEM ones.

I really dislike the plastic things. UV degrades 'em and makes for a real revenue generator for the parts departments. Stoopid design.
Some "engineer" needs a counseling session. :madder:

One word:

vJjat1E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

A

aerog

I started a thread about it some time ago. They weren't opaque but they were getting ugly (a lot worse than the pictures look).

This spring I did another quick polish then put laminating film on them. So far they look almost new.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Did my daughters grand prix lights with PlastX. didn't use a buffer just a cloth and they came up great. I also use it on the acrylic pens I make to make them pop.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Around these parts it's not so much UV damage, more winter road damage from all the sand and salt used on the roads.The sand pitting reduces the light beam drastically after a few winters.
just looked up the cost on the Mustang units $47.00 each purchased May of this year.

Attachments

• 29798.jpg
    29798.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 87

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I have heard of, but not tried myself, that some folks clean up the lenses as best as possible, then shoot a couple coats of clear coat over them. To supposed good results.