• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Online job application

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm watching a segment of News Hour, where job applicants express high frustration with applying for jobs online. Many large organizations require you to complete the preliminary application online, and if accepted, then email your letter of application and resume'.

Common complaints are:

- multi-page forms need to be filled out *after* creating a login and password. But the forms need so much information that the applicant is "timed out" and has to log in again, to start over.

- poor webpage design can result in graphics appearing in the "wrong" place, or even drop down menus not working.

- online job listings are often poorly screened, so the job you think you're applying for is often very different from the way it's described.

- as you have no human being to direct questions to, you're often left making a stab in the dark to try to answer nebulous questions about your qualifications.

- not every applicant has a "new" computer/device with the latest browser, add-ons, and plug-ins.

- the webpage answer choices can be useless for some applicants. "Why did you leave your last job? Fired, Laid off, or Quit?" But the job was a temp job and ended after one year. No way to say that (etc. etc.).

I'm thinking the "Human Resources" office farms out the application process to internal IT/Web services, but never actually validates the online application itself.

Comments? Ever had online application problems yourself?

Tom

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've filled out many of these nebulous on-line forms.
Many of the applications ask for "The highest degree" earned or something that asks you to select from a drop-down menu for the field in which you have a degree in.
The problem is many of the companies may not be located in the US so you are force into selecting choices from their country's educational system; you have to choose something "close" but not exactly correct... frustrating!

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Lots of these applications are pre-scanned by computer before a human ever sees them. If they're looking for a programmer, for example, they may scan for words like "javascript" and "C++". If you don't use them, your application is never even looked at by a person.

G

I hate 'em. I don't see why companies went to online only apps. It cateres to the lazy...on both ends. Online app will never give the same feel for a person as a face-to-face.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Filled out an online application for Norfolk Southern once. At the time it had all of the problems described here and I had to deal with several "timed outs" because the only internet access I had was dial up...

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
It's like any other automation technology, the vast majority of organizations go into it with the goal of saving money and time.

Quality and effectiveness are ignored, or at best, <span style="font-style: italic">assumed</span>, when in reality they're severely degraded.

One can certainly create high quality automated processes. You see it all the time in technical processes, those that are designed, developed, executed, tuned and maintained by people with deep knowledge of the technology and understanding of the process.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with the employment process.

pc

GaryBeu

Banned
I applied for the job I have now online. Even had to take a preliminary "test". The whole process was very easy to understand and complete. I am very happy with this company after being with them for a year and a half. I work from home, go out "into the field" to do my job and then input all info into the company website. Nothing but a good experience and payday is EVERY Thursday and pay is accurate. BTW, I've never met any company employee face to face :smile:

William

Darth Vader
I've noticed, through the last few years of job hunting, that the more inconsequential and low paying the job, the longer the online application process. Something in an office, doing payroll or AP? Submit a resume and cover letter, we'll call you. Stocking shelves at a major hardware store chain? An hour long exam.

I've also noticed that most of the online exams tend to be less about the job, and more about trying to figure out if you're likely to steal office supplies.