• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Running and stop bulbs???

nomad

Yoda
In light of my recent run-in's with the average driving public I've decided to try to improve my visibility. I've been looking a LED 1157 replacement bulbs for my rear stop and running lights.
Theres a zillion of the things on E-bay but was wondering if anyone has had personal experience and can give some advise. Any suppliers that one can trust to sell the best? At $18 to $32 they aren't cheap.

Kurt.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In order to use the LED bulbs for the turn signals, one usually has to replace the stock blinker with an electronic one. This is due to the reduced current draw of the LED turn signal bulbs, which is insufficient to activate the stock blinker.
Another alternative is regular, but brighter bulbs. The stock tail lights are 1157s which have a 5 watt tail light and a 21 watt brake light.
The 2397 bulb has an 8.3 watt marker and a 28.5 watt brake light... These bulbs are plug and play in without any mods. The 2397 tail light is 66% brighter than the 1157 tail light.
I do not have any direct experience with the LED bulbs. Let us know how it works out.
Scott in CA

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Well, Scott, the bulb it looks like I should be looking for is the 2397 that you mention. Exactly what I would come up with if changeing to LED's is what I was wondering about.

We had a discussion about using LED's once before and the turn signal problem thru me off. Realized the dual filament stop/running 1157 is not the turn signal circuit on spridgets. The turn signal is the 1156 single filament bulb.

Sock them in the eye brake lights is what I'm after and if I can come up with a bar of red LED's that I could fit over the licence plate that would be great. Has to look right though.

Kurt.

OP
N

nomad

Yoda
Thanks, John!! Just what I was looking for--particularly in the licence plate frame stop lights. Other things there that might come in handy as well.

Kurt.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T She runs! She won't stop running! Triumph 2
K TR2/3/3A What are the running symptoms........ Triumph 21
T General Tech Running hot Triumph 8
J TR4/4A 1964 Triumph TR4 - Not Starting/Running Triumph 3
shadowfever Running well, then no fire Spridgets 7
C Rough-Running 3000 Austin Healey 29
S MGB Running poorly MG 7
tr6web TR6 TR6 rough running - what can it be? Triumph 17
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Winter engine running in - icy Triumph 7
R running car on jack stands Spridgets 16
BierRunner TR6 TR6 Running Rough Triumph 5
tr6web TR6 Quit running after a few minutes - need advice Triumph 15
B For Sale 57TR3 Small Mouth with OD Project. 12 yeqrs running. I'm not going to finish Triumph Classifieds 14
sparkydave Trouble running hot Spridgets 10
T TR2/3/3A rough running after 20 min shutdown Triumph 9
S TR2/3/3A Running rich SUs. Triumph 25
Y Wanted Looking for running 3.5L MK V engine Jaguar Classifieds 0
J Spitfire 1979 Spitfire Running rough [sputtering, exhaust poping] at start up Triumph 2
Gliderman8 Starter keeps running TVR 20
Rut MGB Running out of gas symptoms MG 21
K TR2/3/3A Anyone running NGK spark plugs? Triumph 26
T TR2/3/3A Anyone running tubeless radials on TR3 steel radials? Triumph 2
N Running Cold Austin Healey 12
bugedd Car running poorly Spridgets 7
Bob_Spidell Running hot/Overheating Austin Healey 44
Martinld123 SU carbs lose fuel prime when not running Austin Healey 3
mailbox For Sale 76 TR 7 project car [non running] Triumph Classifieds 0
N Stuck Needle Valve - Rough Running Austin Healey 15
J For Sale 1976 Sptifire with 1.8L Miata engine/5-speed [running like a boss!] Triumph Classifieds 0
BN6 Breaking In Running In a newly built Healey Engine Austin Healey 15
R TR2/3/3A TR 3A running hot at high rpm Triumph 12
M Proper running temp for 1275 Spridgets 28
HighAltitudeTR3 TR2/3/3A Running a little hot... Triumph 14
D Lilly running #3 / since last we talked.... Austin Healey 7
D Lilly second time running... or trying Austin Healey 8
D Lilly first time running in 15 years.... Austin Healey 19
sd80mac7204 TR6 Interesting TR6 running issue Triumph 19
glemon TR5/TR250 Stumped TR250 Running Rough--Follow Up Triumph 3
glemon TR5/TR250 Stumped TR250 Running Rough Triumph 8
F TR2/3/3A SUs Running Rich Triumph 25
S TR2/3/3A Struggling to stay running during warmup? Triumph 0
vette Constant Engine Running RPM. Austin Healey 20
S TR2/3/3A Oil Leak Dripping from Front and Rear of Left Side Oil Pan---Only While Running Triumph 14
C T-Series MGTC Running Boards MG 1
gbtr6 TR6 TR6 no start after running amazingly well til now. Triumph 16
K TR4/4A Running the motor witout the gearbox installed? Triumph 3
D Rough running BT7 3 carb HELP Austin Healey 13
M TR5/TR250 problem getting engine running Triumph 15
D Nice to hear the old girl running again. Austin Healey 2
R MGB-GT Just purchased Tuned for sea level, but I live at 7500', running rich MG 7