• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PDF format question

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have a workshop manual for one of my old antique tractors on a disc and it's in Adobe format. I downloaded the section I needed, but it won't let me copy or print the file. Says it's password protected. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew this was going to be a problem. Any solution to print a page at times? I bought the disc directly from the author, but he's not around anymore, which tells me the password is lost forever. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Can't copy the file to the hard drive? That's evil.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Doc, Yes I have it over on the HD, but it still won't let me print the file or copy the illustrations. I downloaded a file converter, but it also tells me the program is password protected and refuses to print the page or pages. Not testing the legality of it all, but I understand there's a program to bypass the password, sound right to you? PJ

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
It may very well use the same copy protection software that the british car CD-roms do. It was used on a lot of those types of CD-roms. It's terrible stuff. If it locks you out from printing then it's the earlier version.

You can either hack the software or you can try doing a copy of your screen and dumpting it into MS paint.

I had the hack for the software at one point, dunno where it is now. Basically it had to spoof being acrobat and read through the encrypted socket and then dump it as an unencrypted file.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
aerog said:
There are lots of ways around it, just google it.

Yep. :wink:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. PJ

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My wife is an "online" instructor, she says to try:
1 open the page you want.
2 click file (upper left corner)
3 click export
4 click image
5 choose TIFF
6 name the file and save it
7 open that one and print or import to a word document etc.

hope for the best.....

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And you can always do a "screenshot" if there is a particular page or image you need (and print that).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - any success yet? The "screen print" idea seems like it's the simplest, unless you're trying to copy/print a lot.

Tom