• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone familiar with "True Spark" distributors?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone familiar with "True Spark" distributors?

Could be a neat offering.

From the description;

"This Complete Unit (Rotor included) has the most updated electronic ignition available for cars with DM2, 23D4 and 25D4 distributors. Modern Japanese electronics have been combined with this Lucas Style Distributor to give you the best of both worlds, maintenance free ignition with the original look of your British Distributor. Some distributors offer a 12 month warranty; this unit carries a 36 Month Warranty, this is the longest in the Business!"

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/index.php/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/distributor-25d4-true-spark.html

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Re: Anyone familiar with "True Spark" distributors?

They are not of a good manufacture. They're made in china (not that things that are made in china are inherently bad) and that price is jacked up quite a bit. They go on ebay for like $79-100. The bodies are made from crappy pot metal and the advance curves are all wrong.

Rebuild your Lucas unit for around that same $179 price and get a far better result in both quality and performance.

dklawson

Yoda

That is sound advice.

If you are having distributor problems I would consider contacting Jeff at Advanced Distributors and have him quote rebuilding yours. For an additional charge he can fit a Pertronix module if you want electronic ignition.

rlich8

Jedi Trainee

Jeff is the guy.

The god of distributor repair and ignition systems in general.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Not trying to hijack this thread, but on a similar topic, has anyone used AccuSpark? It appears to be a competitive product to the Pertronix at a more attractive price.
My TR6 currently runs on the Pertronix and I'm happy with it... no problems at all.
I see AccuSpark selling for about $39. I've been tempted to buy one and keep as a spare.
Anyone using one?
https://www.accuspark.co.uk/accuspark.html

M

Member 10617

I am sure there are many very good sources for distributors (new and rebuilt), but Jeff is definitely number one in my book. He rebuilt a distributor for me and I have also purchased a rebuilt backup distributor from him.

He is also VERY patient and helpful with all the questions you might have about distributors.

rlich8

Jedi Trainee

Gliderman8 said:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but on a similar topic, has anyone used AccuSpark? It appears to be a competitive product to the Pertronix at a more attractive price.
My TR6 currently runs on the Pertronix and I'm happy with it... no problems at all.
I see AccuSpark selling for about $39. I've been tempted to buy one and keep as a spare.
Anyone using one?
https://www.accuspark.co.uk/accuspark.html

You aren't hijacking the thread, it's relevant. Pretty sure these "TrueSpark" units include AccuSparks inside of them.

They are all junk. Again, these are of low-quality manufacture.

You really need to read this post over on the MG Experience:

https://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,2156603,2157076#msg-2157076

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Thanks rlich8... I did read the post and I won't be buying one!
I have nothing but the highest regard for Jeff at Advanced; he rebuilt my distributor and it was money well spent. He is a trusted source, so if he says it's "junk" then it's junk!
I'll probably just buy another Pertronix and keep it in the trunk as a spare.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Hi guys - I send Jeff all my "new" car distributors, so I'm solidly in the Jeff is great camp. Still curious.

Here is is note from the MG Experience in response to someone asking if he can do a good job on $40.

"No, I can't BUT neither can Accuspark. An electronic ignition won't fix a loose shaft bushing or worn out advance springs that throw off your timing at all rpms except where you set it with a light. I can't even fix your distributor for the $100 whole Accuspark distributor, but that's just opening a whole new cn of worms by buying an $11 Chinese replica distributor with so many inherent flaws that they can never be properly tuned. I could sell electronic distributors for $50 if I wanted to sell something that would result in many, many warranty claims and get me a bad reputation. My cost on the "Accuspark" which is a made-up brand, is $17 packaged and shipped. I don't sell them because they don't work well. Your car will run decent with one installed (most of the time), but I don't do a half-ass mass production run using inferior parts. Those who want to buy one - go ahead. It might make a decent spare or a good daily driver for a year or so. Its a short-term solution. You get what you pay for. "

FordFiesta

More thread hijack:
Have forum folks had good/bad/indifferent experiences with MSD boxes? Using standard points or Pertronix triggers?

Thinking just the basic 6A or 6AL MSD units here. I've been considering one for years, but could never decide it it would be worth it or not. Thanks.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Not with MSD, but I use a 123Ignition distributor on my Porsche. The unit is beautifully made, and the advance is electronic, so you don't have to worry about weights or springs or anything like that. When I again get an LBC, I'll use one of those.

Only downside is that they ain't cheap. I ordered mine from the Netherlands, and especially since I didn't have to pay VAT, it was reasonably affordable.