• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A LEDs in a TR3A

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I thought I'd try some LEDs in my non-TR vehicle and being a thrifty sort ordered some from Hong Kong -- 12 bucks for 2 including express shipping:

Superb Lights

As it turned out they didn't seem any brighter than the (brighter than stock) incandescents I already had -- so I experimented with them on the TRs.

Not overly impressed there either until I tried them in the red glass beehives -- there I see a significant improvement.

My beehives have been modified from just turn signals to turn signals & brake lights and both are noticeably brighter with the LEDs. But beyond the brightness I really like the way the turn signals blink. They make a series of distinct flashes rather than the lazy on & off of the incandescents.

I know a lot depends on the way the LEDs are configured on the light fixture as to whether they work well with the reflector & lens they're installed in, but these seemed to match well with the red glass beehive lenses:

LED1.jpg

Since the TRs are positive ground I had to perform a bit of surgery. The LEDs (these at least) had the bases held to the bottom board of the LED array with a few spots of solder. I just undid those, pulled off the base and switched the connections to reverse the polarity. Had to cut the copper around the old ground connection to isolate it from the rest of the board and make a new ground connection. Also had to flip the diode around because of the polarity change. All in all, the hack looked like this:

LED2.jpg

Once that's done and the excess wires trimmed the base can be placed over the two leads:

LED3.jpg

And a couple of drops of solder make new contacts:

LED4.jpg

I'm no electronics expert or soldering whiz but the bulb worked and that's the main thing.

If you have wanted to try LEDs but didn't want to pony up the $33 plus shipping per bulb this might give you ideas.

Time will tell if they last and remain bright but for now all seems well.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
I thought I'd try some LEDs in my non-TR vehicle ... As it turned out they didn't seem any brighter than the (brighter than stock) incandescents I already had -- so I experimented with them on the TRs.

Not overly impressed there either until I tried them in the red glass beehives -- there I see a significant improvement.

My beehives have been modified from just turn signals to turn signals & brake lights and both are noticeably brighter with the LEDs....
From what I've read on various LED vendors' web sites, one is supposed to pair "red" LEDs with red lenses, "amber" LEDs with amber lenses, etc., so your observed results with the red glass "beehives" makes perfect sense!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I was toying with the idea since I saw LEDs in the latest catalog from Moss. They show them for $23 each on their website...a bit stiff, but the price from Hong Kong is great. I'll have to try some out. BTW, the last time I bought stuff from Hong Kong of e-bay, it came pretty quickly considering I'm on the other side of the world.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Guys,
You can buy LED bulbs from Super Bright LEDS in St.Louis for $9.95 each plus $3 shipping for two of them. Same bulb Moss sells for $22.95 each ! Work great.
Regards,
Mike

www.superbrightleds.com