• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Watching the Olympic Closing

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and loving it! Major fun and pretty awesome music. The announcer was just saying that they really couldn't rehearse. Apparently the biggest glitch so far - they couldn't get the (British) cars started - well Duh!
grin.gif

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not sure when or if NBC is showing it but the Brits sure can throw a party! Look for Eric Idle. (a somewhat sad subtheme of dead rockers and split up bands but other than that, two big thumbs up!)

A

aerog

Didn't have any interest. I'm watching Hoarders. For some reason I get the inspiration to clean the day after I watch it.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I suppose it's time to quote the 2nd stanza of "God Save The Queen:"

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all

I suppose we have them beat on the "confound their politics" part.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Not The Who. That was the Kaiser Chiefs.....a much younger Brit band doing a tribute.

I thought a lot of the audio for the performers was weak.....like they didn't set up the microphone properly.

And a fair amount of the music or performances was just OK.
In a way, this was a tough venue for the performers. For example, normally, I really like Eric Idle, but I think it was hard for his style of comedy to really show in this setting.

I did like the close-ups of the athletes in the closing ceremony. A diverse mix of lots of hard-working, enthusiastic kids who seemed to be having a great time. Seeing them with the backdrop of Lennon's <span style="font-style: italic">"Imagine"</span> was the best part of the closing for me.

It was cool to see Brian May stilling playing. After he earned that PhD (in astrophysics, no less!), I figured he'd retired from music.
Also, great to see Nick Mason (though I'd prefer to see him racing his GTO at Goodwood). :wink:

I loved the 2012 Olympics and I think the Brits really carried the event off nicely.....this closing ceremony was probably my least-favourite part of the 16 days.

But, they did have some nice cars. There was a big Healey, a Bugeye, an MG-TD. Probably others too.

And then there was that Reliant Robin they blew up at one point.
Plus endless London "black cabs" and several of those awful-looking new Rolls Royces.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
kellysguy said:
JodyFKerr said:
kellysguy said:
I want my money back, no Who.

Huh? They performed after the olympic flame was extinguished.

Didn't get it here. It went straight into the new animal thing series.

Ahh, After they edited the crap out of the opening ceremonies I opted to watch it on the BBC instead of NBC. Not only did we get to watch the whole thing, but there was no asinine commentary.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Saw a fine use of 55 gallon drums. Shoes!!!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Boink said:
Saw a fine use of 55 gallon drums. Shoes!!!

That coouldn't have been easy either.

This may explain the lack of dancing. :yesnod:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Watched the entire Olympics from day one to the closing and enjoyed every bit of it. The light show in the closing ceremony was fantastic! The electronic genius who designed it should also get a gold medal! What was that octopus thing about? Didn't relate! Most of the music wasn't my thing either, wrong era, couldn't understand a word they were saying anyway. Switched channels to Ice Pilots and enjoyed the rest of the evening. JMHO. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
On a different tack ... can't find any posts about actual Olympic sports and competitions. Seems like we only watched the opening and closing ceremonies!

T.

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
On a different tack ... can't find any posts about actual Olympic sports and competitions. Seems like we only watched the opening and closing ceremonies!

T.
This is the wrong crowd to watch Olympic events with no motor sport or driving event coverage.

A

aerog

This was a thread started on another forum, I got a chuckle out of it:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I'd Just Like to Apologise To The World ..</span>.. for the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games.
On behalf of my county, I truly am sorry. </span>[/QUOTE]

:smile:

There were some comments about the actual "games" in another thread here. I watched what I had an interest in. All of it was online, either on the 2nd screen on my desktop or on my tablet early in the morning. I saw a lot of rowing, sailing, archery, and shooting (and some badminton, but not much). Every time I turned on the TV coverage I saw swimming/diving, soccer, basketball, or volleyball (or some other sport that looked like it was derived from soccer) - and they all bore me.

The online coverage and quality was very good without <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> voice overs. I have a calendar app on my tablet that had a list of the sports I was interested in and when they were airing so it was easy to keep track.

I <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> hope the next winter olympics is as well done "online", I don't think the regular broadcast is going to be significantly different anyway.