• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Probably not helpful

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Well I think I found my problem with the speedometer – this can’t be good eh?

brokenangledrive.jpg

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Usually that is just a replaceable pin in there that sheared off (but not always)
If it is then many speedo shops can fix it (after they/you fix what caused the shear-off)
BillM

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Bill - thanks for the note. I swapped in another angle drive from a spare A-type OD I happen to have laying around (ha) and so I'm back in business on. I don't see Moss with the part handy but will need to check with the others.

Thanks

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
tdskip said:
... I swapped in another angle drive from a spare A-type OD I happen to have laying around (ha) and so I'm back in business on. I don't see Moss with the part handy but will need to check with the others.

Thanks

Take a look at item number 95 in this diagram - 021-511. Also note the additional info and specifically the reference to the requirement for the washer 324-720. Lack of washer could be the problem. Hope this helps.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ditto on finding out what caused it. When I picked up Stag #2, the PO was bragging that he had just fixed the speedometer. Worked great at first, but less than 100 miles later, the angle drive sheared again!

Turned out the bushing in the speedo head was dry and would get hot during prolonged operation. The hotter it got, the more it bound up, until the weakest link broke. Unfortunately, the weakest link is also the most expensive part.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Mine did the same exact thing, with less than 300 miles on it, but I had a spare NON OD speedo cable, I cut one end off, I took the angle drive apart, drilled out the rest of the cable, inserted the new cut piece and WELDED it in and so far its been working well, and PS universal speedo cables are not as big as Triumph Spedo cables

Hondo

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
hondo402000 said:
and PS universal speedo cables are not as big as Triumph Spedo cables

Hondo

Bulk speedo cable stock comes in several diameters, but I don't know about the universal kits.
Tom