• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 TR 250 "While I am there"

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TR 250 "While I am there"

The 250 was going to be a "change the oil, change the old rubber bits, new tires and a spit shine and were off for a summer of driving the 250. After sitting in a garage since 1987 things are not what they seem. So..... You can't put new shocks on the funky looking suspension, you can't just put a new pretty power booster in a old grungy engine bay...... More updates to come.

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

IMG_9059.jpg

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Re: TR 250 "While I am there"

tinman58 said:
The 250 was going to be a "change the oil, change the old rubber bits, new tires and a spit shine and were off for a summer of driving the 250...

And so it starts...down the long slippery slope. No turning back now!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

tinman58 said:
The 250 was going to be a "change the oil, change the old rubber bits, new tires and a spit shine and were off
IMG_9068.jpg

Is that what they mean when they say the engine is 'missing'?

D

Deleted member 8987

I like those new, improved, blue head gaskets. Fixes the problem, does it?

HerronScott

Darth Vader

Dan,

Wasn't that a running moving car when you got it? :smile:

What's the current plan? Definitely keep us updated on the progress!

Scott

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Your in trouble now $$$$$$

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

The car had not moved from the garage since 1987. Was "running when parked" It looked liked you could throw a new battery in, prime the carbs and off you go. But on closer exam...... The plan was to clean it up fix the minor things and make it safe to drive. Well as you can see by the photos that We have done a little more than that. Plans change. I think for the good. This 250 is for my Wife and it needs to be safe, reliable and has to look good. We are going to leave the paint alone just a good buffing and polish. I like the patina. The interior is going to be all redone to proper TR 250 specs. But with guidence from my Wife (color, leather etc. Under the hood we are going to respray to the signal red after welding in a new battery section. Maybe out of S.S.. The engine will be left stock (The TR3 is fast enough). Glen stopped by today with more advice, I.E. how to spend more money. I am sure that the Moss catalog is going to get well used.
P.S. I need a windshield wiper motor If any body has a extra?
IMG_9063.jpg

It does have overdrive

61tr3

Freshman Member

Dan,you act so supprised. I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help.

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee

I would hope that you are to change to oil filter DE-rangement, I retained my Original Equipment thru one oil change and that was it, I am sure it would work on a RH, Oh do the oil cooler as well, while your there :smile:

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

O.K.Spent most of the day removing more and more parts..... Now I am thinking frame off. The only problem is not enough room. I need a bigger garage. and a little more brains....

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader

tinman58 said:
O.K.Spent most of the day removing more and more parts..... Now I am thinking frame off. The only problem is not enough room. I need a bigger garage. and a little more brains....

Your floor boards look great. If there is not rust to deal with, then I would not do a frame off restoration, especially if the car is to be a driver, occasional or not.

With the engine removed, the car, especially the engine compartment,can be easily painted.

At most, I would remove the fenders to inspect for rust. But frame off, not. Even the frame can be painted with the body on, except of course the top.

It is a whole lot of work just to have shiny floor boards under the car.

But if you must, then there are creative solutions to lifting in place inplace and supporting the body in toto above the frame, which can be wheeled in and out as work progresses.

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Well we are going to pull the body off the frame.The "while I'm there" syndrome is to over powering. As is the conversion with my beautiful Wife. She want' it to look like the TR3..... so here we go!
I don't think that it will be that much more work than I already have into it. The time frame is not critical. It will be done for the spring driving fun. Gonna order a bunch of stuff tonight so the economy of the USA will hit a spike tomorrow. "IT'S ONLY MONEY".

Stuka

Freshman Member

Some more guiding lines:

- "You can't take it with you"

- "You're spending your childrens' inheritance" (tell my son that often - I intend to time my death to be on day Zero $)

To expedite that, build that bigger garage you need. I did 1200 square feet, attached to the house, really helped me along that path... Did I mention the 600 sq ft tornado shelter underneath the garage? (that also holds a future project car)?

Now I just need my TR-6 drive-train back from Wishbone Classics/Kai Radicke

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

I WILL NOT WATCH "OVERHAULING", I WILL NOT WATCH "OVERHAULING" Repeat over and over.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

While you have the body off the frame, you might as well reinforce the diff mounts even if they look okay, just to avoid issues later, since you are there.....also maybe a coil over conversion for rear shocks...

Dan B

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Thanks for the advice. The body is ready to be removed. There is a lot more to a 250 than a TR3. The coil over is a must and the stiffening is to. There is a big order ready to go to TRF. "IT'S ONLY MONEY"

hondo402000

Darth Vader

why not just stick with the original armstrong shocks, you can have them rebuilt a little stiffer. those after market kits although look really cool just transfer loads to different parts of the body that were not designed for

the coil overs just put more pressure on the upper spring mount and the kits that bolt to the original mounts but use a regular shock just make a big lever and eventually rip the original mounts apart.

just my observation on here over time and the things I have seen

Hondo

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Oh the things to ponder!

61tr3

Freshman Member

Dan, you need to do the tube shock kit, you need the headers, you need it all. Don't stop half way, I'll point it out to everyone that you went cheap.
IOM, IOM, IOM, then whip out the card and make the call and sleep better tonight

Glen

OP
tinman58

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Thanks Glen, I really need your support! I need to keep the garage door closed. The worst part is that you will point it out to Terry! Then I am in trouble.. On TRF's web site now.