• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sgt. Dwyer

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
The guy below is Sgt. Liam Dwyer, a U.S.Marine of Litchfield, Connecticut.
He was severely injured by an IED on May 22, 2011 in Afghanistan. Dwyer, 30, a 1999 graduate of Litchfield High School, lost his left leg above the knee and suffered major damage to his right leg and right arm in the explosion.

He was out racing with us this weekend at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at the PittRace Complex (formerly BeaveRun).
He'll be racing with us at Schenley Park in Pittsburgh next weekend too. He did a great job!
<span style="font-style: italic">(I know my friend Bill Stoler will not mind if I hot-link his photo for this post)
</span>
541506_4197443896919_539056730_n.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hooah!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way to go Sgt. Dwyer

Attachments

• 29211.jpg
    29211.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 200

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Very cool. I saw a story recently where a group of wounded warriors rode in a 100km mountain bike ride in the desert sun.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Whats that he's driving?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Gives me a warm feeling knowing that these brave soles are getting help and some of the respect that they rightly deserve.

THANK YOU SGT. DWYER!!! May your life be blessed with nothing but kindness and prosperity. Your my kind of people. PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How does he use the clutch? Is it hand actuated?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AWSOME!!!

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Walter:

An artificial leg is attached to knee area with a custom fixture. He pushes clutch with artificial leg. I'm not exactly sure how it works but there is a wrench to adjust it somehow (I imagine it adjusts joint friction).
Liam was actually supposed to be driving a different rhd Sprite that he had driven before, but that one conked in practice. I'm told that car had a special clutch pedal that helped position his heel. They had this spare car, but pedal are just stock; he managed anyhow.

He has been heavily supported in his racing by Dave Thomas, one of our VRG racers who owns three race-Sprite. Dave's a lawyer and a huge guy. With that combination he has managed to encourage/convince a number of businesses to support Liam. I know OG Racing gave him a new helmet and some other stuff. Other companies helped too, and they are credited on the side of the race car. It's a decent sized list.

The car Liam's drove is the blue one.
Dave is in the orange one (Dave owns both of these).
The blue one is not technically legal for vintage (due to the fender flares), but no one really cares.
liam.jpg

dt.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nial that's amazing.