• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Fluid

tk421

So instead of spending quite a lot on my exhaust, I decided to fix the brakes of my Jag first. Placed the order for EBC Redstuff pads and some nice EBC slotted & dimpled rotors. I will probably ask the shop that will change the brakes to order the calipers because if you want a core refund, you need to send back the old ones.

But what about brake fluid? Might as well change that if the rest of the brakes will be changed (not brake lines however).

Does anyone have any recomendations for a quality brake fluid, or just go with what ever the shop uses?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
For regular car use, the only reason not to go with what the shop uses is if you are changing to something like DOT5. Just use what they use.

Country flag
The changes you are making don't impact the brake fluid. Leave it alone. Changing the brake fluid will require all new lines, seals, flex hoses, anything that is rubber. You can safely flush the brake fluid - clean out the old stale stuff with new fresh fluid - using the same type ie DOT 3 or 4. But don't change it ie from DOT 3 to DOT 5. My 2 cents..... :smile:

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Just about everyone is against using DOT5 in an ABS braking system. The DOT 5 undergoes aeration caused by the pump in an ABS system making it unsuitable.

OP
T

tk421

The manual for the car says use DOT4, so I would keep with that. EBC also makes two DOT4s for about $20 per 8.8oz.

I don't want to <span style="font-style: italic">change</span> fluids, I just want to get rid of the old stuff that might have been there since the car was made.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I use either Castrol LMA, which around here has become hard to find, or ATE fluid. ATE makes several different fluids, which start out good, and get better. They make one called "super blue" That is colored , well, blue, and using that makes it really easy to tell when you have successfully flushed the old fluid. Next fluid change with "regular" fluid, and you still know.... Most anyplace that caters to german cars should have ATE fluid on hand.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I use either Castrol LMA, which around here has become hard to find, or ATE fluid. ATE makes several different fluids, which start out good, and get better. They make one called "super blue" That is colored , well, blue, and using that makes it really easy to tell when you have successfully flushed the old fluid. Next fluid change with "regular" fluid, and you still know.... Most anyplace that caters to german cars should have ATE fluid on hand.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
LMA here as well. Quart bottles, Pep Boys, or intermittently Wally Mart has it, relatively cheap.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You can drive yourself crazy on this topic.

Most Brake fluids are Glycol based. Recently the creation of synthetics confuse this matter.

DOT 5 is silicone based.

Boiling point is supposed to be the key....(plus recipe)

DOT 3....205
DOT 4....230
DOT 5....260 (silicone)
DOT 5.1..270

With the advent of synthetics, the boiling point of "non silicone" brake fluids can go higher...but are listed as DOT 4. Case in point is the Motul 600 racing brake fluid in my Ferrari. It is listed as a DOT 4 but has a boiling point of 594 degrees (dry).

I have had DOT 5 (silicone) in my TR8 for about 15 years and it has performed flawlessly. There have been posts with far less successful efforts. I will most likely pull that once I do the clutch cylinders and brake caliper seals as it is getting harder to find.

Truth is, unless you are racing the car, a good DOT 4 fluid will handle just about everything you need it to.

...I would completely flush the system. Suck out the reservoir and bleed each corner until you know new fluid is in the lines. Not only does it make you smile when you are done, all the residual moisture is gone and you are good to go for 2 - 4 years before you need to to do it again :smile: