• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Windshield Frame Color, TR6

MNColin

Freshman Member
Hi, New to the board, joined a couple of weeks ago and feel it's time to get involved.
I have a 72 TR6 that I am doing a frame off resto.
The windshield frame is in good condition, however I am stripping it back to metal and was going to repaint it the same color black
However should this be Satin/Semi Gloss, Flat or Gloss?

Many thanks in advance

Colin

PS. I had to use the heat wrench to get it off.

G

Colin,
Krylon Semi-Flat in a rattle can is the perfect match.

Bill

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Colin,

I second that, Krylon Semi Flat Black is a near perfect match.
How's the frame off resto coming? Mine is almost done (1970), waiting for the seats to be reupholstered and the top to arrive. Almost 2 years and every nut and bolt off the car, but definitely a labor of love ( most of the time)...I did all the work myself with the exception of paint and body work. Signal Red with a Lt Tan Interior. Let me know if you have any more questions, pretty much been there done that, having owned the car for 15 years...

Mark

OP
M

MNColin

Freshman Member
I Bought the Car last year, A partialy started restoration project that the PO had given up on.

He had used many sheets of steel and pop rivited them to rusty panels. I am replacing / replaced
Rockers
Floors
Battery Box
Rear Inner fenders
B Posts
Frame

Just a small project.

Every time I tackle somthing, another attempt of covering up is discovered. (for instance the frame was repaired with Bondo)

If it was a cost issue, I would never have started this project. I have always loved the 6, and I am now in a position to share my life between an very understanding wife and a very sick car.

I have completly refurbished a used frame, painted and rebushed with new Bushes. All the suspension Items are shot blasted and repainted. New Springs and UJ's in the drive shafts.

The body is in two peices and I am just about to join it back up!

I have the windshield off and while waiting for a back ordered part from the TRF, started to strip it, re paint and get it ready to go back on. (I will need it when I try and align the doors)

I have many other items to do, but love every hour I spend on her.

My intentions are to do do most of the work myself, including Paint.

Regards
Colin

G

Colin,
We need to put your name in the hat for sainthood for a project like that. Another good reason to have a pro inspect a car before any purchase. Bet you would have looked a little longer before you acquired that one. Good luck and let us know when we can help. Don't ask for money.

Bill

OP
M

MNColin

Freshman Member
I recived the car very cheap and knew it needed work. Unfortunatly not as much as I had anticipated. I joined a local club (MNTriumphs) and I found that a few members had many spares and could have put me in touch with a car that required a lot less work.

I enjoy working on her, and when it's finished, I will know every nut and bolt on her!

I grew up on british cars it's in my blood, I moved to the USA from the UK about five years ago. I even served an apprenticeship in production engineering with Lucas CAV, the commercial truck side of Lucas. (I know all the jokes and yes I like warm beer).

This Post has got a bit sidetracked, It should be renamed My introduction!

I will be sparying the Windshield frame this weekend and will then get her packed up and reay for install later.

Best regards
Colin

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Colin,
I started with a much more solid car when I started to take it all apart, having driven it for the previous 10 years and put roughly 80K on it. It sounds like you're doing just fine, taking your time and doing it right, no shortcuts (like your PO with the bondo in the frame). Best of luck and I'm sure you'll be very proud of it when it's complete, knowing you did it all yourself. I knew that if I tried to paint mine myself, it would have stayed under a car cover for the rest of its life!

Mark