• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Paint problems TR3

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'm affraid, with a bonding problem like that, the only way is to remove it (strippers or sanding) and reapply new primer and paint. Anything that is laid over the top now will only accelerate the pealing underneath.

Sorry for the bad news...

John

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree,no easy solution.In fact even the strip/reprime/repaint is probably optomistic.More likely strip to bare metal, then repair or redo metal work. I suspect the bodo is thick in these areas.Then epoxy or some direct to metal primer,then body filler,another coat of epoxy,then some glaze if needed ,then some high build primer,probably minimum two coats,then block to perfection,shoot the color and then clear if bc/cc,then final sand and buff.
Not much fun,and potentially very expensive.
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Unless of course you want to go with another cheap paint job. I had One Day Paint (a CA chain similar to MAACO) strip my TR3 to bare metal, sand, prime and paint. Including the black racing stripe; painting under the hood, trunk, vent lid and inside the front apron; and a 5 year warranty (but no bodywork), the bill came to about $1800.

There are some paint flaws visible if you look closely, and the usual rash of small dings in various places. But I would still rate it better than a "ten footer" (if I would wash & wax it once in awhile). Suits me fine for a daily driver.

Oh yeah, I removed probably 70% of the chrome before taking it to them. The rest they masked and painted around.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don't add more to what looks to be too much paint on there now. You have to remove layers before adding any more or the thinner may start to do it for you with cracks worse than these.

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Unless of course you want to go with another cheap paint job. I had One Day Paint (a CA chain similar to MAACO) strip my TR3 to bare metal, sand, prime and paint. Including the black racing stripe; painting under the hood, trunk, vent lid and inside the front apron; and a 5 year warranty (but no bodywork), the bill came to about $1800.

Those guys paint thousands of cars a year. Talk to them, maybe slip them a few extra bucks to do a good job masking etc, and you should get a great job.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents.

Say, any idea how a painter would handle bondo after the stripping? Is it just somoething you leave, prime, then spray over?

Or does the bondo have to come out and be replaced?

(The last 12 months have sure brought some unpleasant surprises, car and health-wise; it's time for some good news!)

Tom

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Any good paint shop would recommend stripping down to bare metal and redo the bodywork especially if they are going to warranty the paint job. You could save some money by getting an angle grinder with a SS wire wheel and stip the car down to bare metal yourself then carry it to a body shop, But I am guessing you will be surprised at what will have to be done, I would guess all panels will need work. I stripped my TR6 with the angle grinder and SS wire wheels in about 3 days and that was working 3 hours each day after work and it wont warp the panels, it will eat paint off and turn bondo into dust in a hurry, just wear a good respirator and safety glasses and ear plugs,. I would say there are more places that have the same issue just maybe not apparent yet

if you are not willing to paint the whole car I would live with it as is, because you will get the well if I do that area might as well do that area and before you know it you will have all the paint off the car
get estimates first before you touch anything

Hondo

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There is not necessarily bondo underneath causing your problem. Cracking like that can happen on a decent metal surface from using the wrong primer, improper surface prep, not using any primer, improper thinning, or adding too many coats. Unfortunately, all these problems still require all the faulty paint to come off. And, of course, there may be bondo underneath. Paint is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're going to get!?!

You can likely tell the condition of the apron by reaching behind and feeling for a dent that was filled. If there is bondo, I would recommend removing it. Filler is porous, so there may be something that it absorbed that caused the bonding problem.

John