Thread: Oil choices for an austin healey BN1

Ask your questions about using the forum. Find useful video tutorials in tutorial sub-forum Please post car-related questions in the appropriate car forum (e.g., Healey, Jaguar, MG...etc.)

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oil choices for an austin healey BN1

hi
    i'm looking forward to exchanging emails about my first healey, a 1955 BN1. it's a pretty car, in pretty good shape, and seems pretty primitive now too, in design and build. my british motors experience is that, growing up my folks had a 1958 vauxhall victor, and later i had a 1954 ariel square four for a summer, that i rode out here to california.

my question is- what engine oil seems best for the BN1? my oil pressure is decent, 50 lbs underway, dropping to 20 at warm idle.

i am thinking of using a 15-40 diesel oil, which i understand has more ZDDP, and that without it, internal wear accelerates.

also, what experience is there with sticky additives like STP in this car?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Re: Oil choices for an austin healey BN1

Welcome to you, 4wheel!

This is the section of the British Car Forum for learning about how best to use the forum. Post your question over on the Austin Healey side, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of response.

Mickey
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud - '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (both SOLD! ); Victor TF 1800; '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts

Re: Oil choices for an austin healey BN1

My forum runs bet on 10W30 Castrol.

Welcome to the forum!
    The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. - Oscar Wilde