• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 '76 TR6 - De-Smog or Leave? 19k original mile car

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Hi all,

I just picked up a '76 TR6 with 19,000 original miles.

It's a very nice, proper original car. The only thing I don't like is the AC, which will probably come off.

Anyways, I'm just about to go through it (adjust valves, tune carbs, reset timing, change fluids) just so I establish some baselines on everything, and I was thinking of whether to remove the smog stuff or not.

Since this is the TR place...I defer to the experts!

https://www.colossus-lp.com/75triutr6whi

Should I de-smog it or leave everything?

Thanks!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Royal, that depends on what you plan on doing with the car

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just my opinion, but it seems like a shame to start modifying such a low mileage car. Factory AC was a fairly rare option from what I've seen.

Also, removing smog equipment from a car registered for use on public roads is a Federal crime, even though you are not likely to get caught. You may get some small improvement in fuel economy, but you're not likely to see any increase in performance (unless you also tear the engine down to change the compression ratio and camshaft). With my 80 Chevy, even the fuel mileage went down, rather than up.

That said, it is your car, it should please you. What I think isn't really relevant.

OP
rlich8

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
I was under the impression that this air conditioning was dealer installed and incorrect/never offered as a factory option. If this is a factory option I do not want to remove it.

My intent is to keep the car original, I'm not trying to go fast or molest the car, I just asked because I am trying to achieve being closer to original, not further away from it. I bought this car because its so close to original that it's like a time warp, and I'd like it to stay like that.

The smog stuff is often a drain on performance and I figured it probably would not have much of a benefit to remove it but I wanted to ask anyway. That sort of modification/removal is always reversible. I am ignorant, I don't know Triumphs as well as I know MG's and Jaguars, but I do want to keep it nice as I have with the rest of my cars.

Randall, what you and other Guys say here is important, that's why I ask.

Thanks for your input!!!

Royal

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
As Randall said, your car. Removing the SMOG stuff is easy, getting benefit out of that is harder and a slippery slope blah blah blah. You know the drill Royal.

If she is really that original then I'd think twice about messing around personally but depends on what you want to do with her (as Randall also commented). I like to get them dirty and scratched up through use which is why I buy, um, crappy ones personally.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Factory air conditioning was an option on 76 model TR6s for sure. I would keep that! It's just extra weight if you don't use it, but in the hot weather it sure feels nice when it works. Chicago may not have that many hot days but around here it gets pretty muggy.

Randall, how can he tell if it is dealer installed or factory? Do you know?

Dan B

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Although I dislike the smog gear, since your car is so original, I'd leave it on. Perhaps just removing the belt that drives the smog pump and plugging any necessary holes...?

Nice find, by the way! :thumbsup:

OP
rlich8

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Another thing I'd like to add about the air conditioning is that I was questioning it being factory original is because there are some odd things about it:

Those odd things include some relays of non-Lucas manufacture, the controls don't really match the rest of the car, etc. It just doesn't "look" factory. Maybe my sense is completely off, but at the end of the day I do want her to be original. :smile:

I fully intend on driving this car, by the way. That's not to say I'm going to beat the [censored] out of it (I don't do that and would never), but I will certainly put some miles on it, not like 40,000 but I do want to use her on weekends and I will certainly be anal with maintenance and care. :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DanB said:
Randall, how can he tell if it is dealer installed or factory? Do you know?
The only way I know would be to check the factory build record. BMIHT in the UK will sell you a copy suitable for framing; someone else (sorry, I forget who offhand) will supply just the information from the build record for somewhat less money.

I know opinions differ, but to my mind, "dealer-installed" is still "as original". The factory did not fully finish the cars in any case, there was always some dealer preparation involved. For example, TR3s were shipped without the bumpers installed and big boards instead (to avoid damaging the finish of the bumper as the cars jostled around on the ship).

And even though AC seems kind of silly in a ragtop, the cool air does feel good on a hot day.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Technically, most of these air-conditioning units would not have been "factory"; however, many were designed and manufactured in the US specifically for the cars. Looking at the photos on the web site you gave, it appears that this is a unit specifically designed for the TR6, and appears to be rather well-integrated (which leads me to believe that removal might be almost more trouble than it's worth). Beyond that, my point is that such accessories -- especially when still functioning as intended -- add to the value rather than detract from it, and pretty much all the clubs accept these and other "period" accessories (factory, dealer or other aftermarket) for Concours and other judging.

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
In the same manner that having an original AMCO center console with kienzle clock will add to the value, or having the AMCO bumper overriders will add to the value, other 'period' dealer options, like the AC do not detract from "originality" of a vehicle. if you want to be real 'strict' none of our 'original' cars should have radio antenae either, they were dealer installed on this side of the pond.

if the EGR and smog pump etc are all in place and working, if you want originality, leave them be. The one thing to watch out for is, the air emissions pump was prone to failure / seizing up, which would then burn out your belts and cause other problems, so just make sure it's moving freely.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
And even though AC seems kind of silly in a ragtop, the cool air does feel good on a hot day.

I have A/C in my Miata and as you say, when it does get hot (for me anything over 80°), the cool air is great to have. About the only time I put the top down on the Miata in the summer is in the evening or early in the AM. I just don't like the heat. In late fall, the hard top goes on. :smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice car. Your choice, but I don't see how you can go wrong keeping it 'as original' or 'as delivered'.

If you choose to undo anything remember Aldo Leopold's advice: "The first rule of tinkering is: 'Save all the Parts'"

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Nice car and neat to see one with such low mileage.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I still have that 8-track too...

Scott

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with those who say leave it as is, or if you want to take some things off save parts. These days there are so many restored/modified cars, I love to see original cars especially with unique features.

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So assuming you paid $18K for the car, remove the AC, deduct $2K. De smog, deduct another 2K. Now you've got a $14K TR6.

OP
rlich8

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Appreciate all the comments and information. I am certainly being taken to school on this topic. I was under the impression this thing was a shoddy add on.

Smog is all staying for sure. AC probably as well. Need to find someone who knows the systems thoroughly because there are some things that are surely not original to the system.

Country flag
rlich8 said:
Need to find someone who knows the systems thoroughly because there are some things that are surely not original to the system.

Royal,

Try Bernie and Laura at International Classics. Nice people, fairly familiar with Brit cars. They worked on our 63 Mini and will most likely do the work on my MGB. I have been happy with them.

https://www.iclassix.com/

International Classics LLC
8154 Ridgeway
Skokie, IL 60076

P: 847-674-6980

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
The guys over at https://www.britishac.com/ac/triumph-complete-kit-17.php can sell you any replacement parts you'll need for the AC unit or the items you'll need to convert to R134a from the original R12 (new dryers and hoses) You can even get a complete reproduction of the original unit.

D

Deleted member 8987

The good thing about your smog system is it does not have a catalytic converter. The Federal Emissions tag says "non catalyst". Make sure that tag stays put! The early cats really robbed power.
I know for a fact (and I cannot tell you how), that vehicles of that vintage always ran better, got better fuel economy, and usually still passed emissions with the Federal Garbage disabled.
BB's inside the vacuum lines is something I have seen......everything looks right.
Belt off the pump is a good thing to do for the power losses the older air pumps often incurred.
Keep the belt in the boot.
I have seen air pumps that were disassembled, internals removed, reassembled and installed....the shaft and pulley turned, no losses.....emissions folks never caught it.
Older honeycomb cats....seen them removed, a big rod and hammer, all the bits went into the trash, and back on the car.
I knew a guy who bought a car that had the cat removed, but the bottom heat shield was welded/clamped back to the "test pipe". He drove that car for 12 years like that, went through emissions just fine, the "mirror check" to see if the cat was in place...always passed that.
Low miles, maybe the emissions will work. Carbon buildup in EGR ports and tubes was a big problem. Air and a torch would clean them out.
I'm trying to think back on my days doing emissions stuff. Usually air pumps were associated with cats....maybe I'm thinking the dual-bed ones where the air injected into the middle of the cat.