• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's a Go

D

DougF

So, after some friends came over to help swap out what turned out to be a perfectly good head gasket to solve my overheating issues, we put the engine back together. Since it hadn't exhibited any cracked head symptoms, we started it up and it ran flawlessly with the cap off.

My friend got out his tape measure only to find that my cap was wrong. Although it was the one listed for TR6's, it was too short in length. Every cap I owned was 3/4" except for the dry rotted Healey ones on the shelf.

I bought a 1" depth cap for TR3/4 that is now working just fine. My fan relay shorted out causing the engine to overheat, and no eruptions like before.

A trip to a fellow club member's garage found that he is also running the wrong cap, though his car isn't overheating. I guess my engine was because of the upgraded build.

My car problem is solved. Check your cap and radiator inlet depth to make sure it's correct.

Now I have to figure out why this stinking computer deleted my first two nearly completed attempts at this post.

Tonight, we fixed the fan problem, and mounted an interior lamp to show that the fan is running. We also installed a power source for a GPS or cell phone charge. The stereo and overdrive are working again.

The car is back in business. I have no excuses for not making the breakfast runs and other events I been missing for the past two years.

hermanmaire

Jedi Hopeful
A wrong cap! I didn't even think the depth mattered. I'll pay attention to that in the future, thanks.

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
:banana:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
too bad you replaced a head gasket to find out the radiator cap was bad

sometimes the fixes are simple

great job

Hondo