• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch slave travel

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Does anyone know how far the clutch slave pushrod should move when working correctly?

I have put the transmission back in after fixing a major leak, putting in a new clutch, cover and to bearing. The clutch slave is also new but working before I removed the gearbox. I'm pretty sure i have the pushrod adjusted correctly to 0.1" free play. The clevis pin is in the lower hole on the arm, because when in the middle hole, it's clearly not aligning the pushrod correctly.

The problem is that when I depress the clutch pedal, the pushrod doesn't seem to move very far, perhaps 1/2". This intuitively doesn't feel far enough to move the clutch arm and fork sufficiently.

Help gratefully accepted
Dave

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Dave, Welcome to my world! See details in "clutch nightmare continues" thread. The lever on mine moves from slightly forward of verticle to about30 degree angle rear of verticle and still no clutch.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Kleykamp said:
Dave, Welcome to my world! See details in "clutch nightmare continues" thread. The lever on mine moves from slightly forward of verticle to about30 degree angle rear of verticle and still no clutch.

And welcome to the BCF! Good to have you aboard!

:cheers:
Mickey

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Dave-

Welcome as well - if you can post a picture it might help - I recommend you figure out the cause of the misalignment you mention - you should be using the middle hole. By using the bottom hole you are limiting the movement of the fork.

Randy

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Dave,
Photo in my thread, from the owners manual, shows the bottom hole. Using middle hole for more travel sounds like phuzzy physics to me. But then, my clutch isn't working, so I'm obviously no expert.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Top hole - least leverage, most movement. bottom hole, most leverage, least movement. Middle hole - just right!

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
TR4nut said:
Top hole - least leverage, most movement. bottom hole, most leverage, least movement. Middle hole - just right!
with ya. maybe I will try moving mine up and see if that helps my problem.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
DaveC said:
...when I depress the clutch pedal, the pushrod doesn't seem to move very far, perhaps 1/2". This intuitively doesn't feel far enough to move the clutch arm and fork sufficiently...

I'm thinking mine moves about 5/8" and I am using the middle hole -- so your 1/2" doesn't sound too far off to me. Is the clutch not disengaging with that movement?

OP
D

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the welcomes and the pointers.

Given all the info, I fear that the slave is not the issue, because the travel i have is normal. I fear that I may have the clutch plate in backwards, despite being careful. Having read Kleykamp's thread, and reviewed a couple of pics I took, I think this must be it. The clutch is just not disengaging.

What an idiot. :smile:
dave

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Dave,
I feel your pain. I guess we just like taking the transmission out sooo much, that we sub-conciously screwed up. I can't wait to start again, but I'm going to take a little break and get my boat ready for the lake.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
DaveC said:
Thanks for the welcomes and the pointers.

Given all the info, I fear that the slave is not the issue, because the travel i have is normal. I fear that I may have the clutch plate in backwards, despite being careful. Having read Kleykamp's thread, and reviewed a couple of pics I took, I think this must be it. The clutch is just not disengaging.

What an idiot. :smile:
dave

Been there...done that! Don't feel too bad. In every large operation you have to expect a few set-backs

John

OP
D

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well I can hardly believe it. Enlisted the help of a friend, got the box out only to find the clutch plate was in correctly and everything else seemed fine too. Put it all back only to be back to square one, or at least where i was this morning.

Eventually, i decided it must only e the slave pushrod travel as everything else is right. I adjusted the master pushrod to maximize the pedal travel - the are no pedal stops on a Peerless.

And it worked. Dammit. I just wasted half a day of my life!!